Hi :)

I'm 19 years old and newly diagnosed with stage 1c ovarian cancer. I had a salpingo-oopherectomy (my right ovary was the size of a canteloupe) and have completed 2/3 cycles of BEC chemotherapy. This has all happened within the last two months, and I'm really looking forward to talking with people who can understand what I'm going through. Thanks :)

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi There,

How are you finding BEC chemo? If you ever want to chat then feel free to send me a message. I found it impossible to find any females receiving BEC when I was going through it! Well done on completing 2/3 of your cycles...Nearing the end now :)

xx
  • The first two cycles went by ok, I handled them pretty well. The third was a little more difficult. Each time, I was admitted to the hospital for 3 days and recieved the chemo each day and I was nauseated pretty much the whole 3rd time. Not fun. The side effects I've had haven't been more than annoyances really which has been nice. I can count how many times I've thrown up, and aside from some ear ringing and acne, I've just been a little achy and tired. I've got a ct scan coming up in a couple weeks and we'll see after that if I need a 4th treatment or not. The emotional side is a little tougher. I'm sick of being trapped inside. It's too fricking hot to go outside all covered up and I don't have a car, so I haven't really gone much of anywhere since my surgery. I just want to be normal again...I want to go back to work and I want to eat sushi and I want to go swimming, etc. And as much as everyone around me trys to understand, they just don't and it's really hard to try to explain anything to them. And you're the first person I've talked to about all this. Everything is so overwhelming.
  • Reading your reply was like listening to myself a few weeks ago! Still is like me in many ways. I miss being able to talk to my friends on the same level as them - I don't mean this in a way that is negative towards my friends and I certainly don't blame them for it but I now feel a bit like an outsider!

I only finished treatment two months ago and already I'm starting to do more and more of those everyday things like shopping, going for lunch etc. I'm sure that will get better for you sooner than you think.

Have you tried writing everything down? I don't know but it might help with how overwhelming it all is. Does your hospital offer any councilling or support? Again, I don't know if it works for everyone, especially seeing as a lot of the support out there isn't catered for people our age (hehe, excuse me for bracketing you in the same age range as me when I'm blatantly an old lady compared to you :) )

I was on the five day BEC regime with Bleomicin on day 1, 8 and 15. I remember every round getting a little harder.

I'll send you a friendship request and feel free to message me anytime for a chat!

Leave a Comment