Hey! Im new here...

Hey Everyone my name is Danielle I am from New York. I recently been diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma Thyroid Cancer stage 1. I had a total TT done 2 weeks ago. I have to start Radiation in December because the cancer is still there even after surgery.:errf:
I am so overwhelmed and confused... All I know is the waiting game sucks.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I also had stage 1, and it's manageable, but it's just a lot to get thrown at you all at once when you're diagnosed. Just take it one step at a time is the best advice I can give. And do you have friends or family you can lean on for support? My husband was my rock during my treatment, I couldn't have handled everything without him supporting me.

Are you in NYC? I'm up in MA, not far from you. If you want someone to talk to who's been there, feel free to post more or email or we can even chat via Google or Skype if you want.

Hang in there, it's hard, but you can do it.
  • Hi,

I also had the same thing (mine was a slightly more complicated case, but still stage 1). For me too the beginning was absolutely the worst part. Once you kind of get over the initial shock it gets better. Just hang in there. The waiting game does suck though: once you know for sure then you have a plan and you know what to do, but just sitting and wondering is enough to drive anyone nuts.

I'd also be happy to chat via gmail or something, just PM me if you'd like to.

Take care.
  • Hi Danielle!

It does suck and it is overwhelming. I also had papillary thyroid carcinoma, but it was metastatic. Staging is weird for thyca, but I had one surgeon tell me it was Stage 4. It had not spread to my other organs, just in every single nook and cranny in my neck and also some in my chest. I had a TT and MRND last October (which took over 7 hours), followed by RAI. I have a huge scar. You are lucky you are only stage 1. But it is pretty standard to have RAI, because they say that there could always be more cells lingering in the thyroid bed, so don't feel bad about that. Oh, and I lived in NY at the time! Where did you have your surgery? I am actually flying back soon for my follow-ups.... I am REALLY anxious about that.

Anyway, I hope we can get this thyroid board moving. Check out thyca.org for more information.

Rose
  • Hello Danielle
    I hope you can find whatever you need in this forum and SC.
    It sucks but Welcome!

Leave a Comment