Boyfriend growing distant

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for five months now and I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 3 months in. After I was diagnosed we moved in together and everything seemed to be going well ( we are both 20) until a week ago when he decided he wanted to take a break. He says it"s because he doesn't think I trust him and that he needs space but I'm afraid that he isn't ready to handle that im sick.I haven't seen him in almost a week which doesn't seem very long but he's been my main support and caregiver throughout this whole process. My family is not very supportive and I don't have many friends around here because I was living away at school until I got sick so all of my friends are about 2 hours away. I've never been so in love with someone in my life and im so afraid I'm losing him. I've tried talking to him a few times since we've been on this break and the way he talks to me just isnt the same. I can hear it in his voice that the way he feels has changed. I've been so depressed and I have no one to talk to. Someone please help.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • unfortunately, this happens a lot. a cancer diagnosis is a real test for any relationship and it can be especially hard on a newer relationship. It can seriously hurt a married couple's relationship for that matter. unfortunately, just about anyone who's had a cancer diagnosis has seen people who were formerly close grow distant because they emotionally can't handle knowing someone with a cancer diagnosis. they tend to think of it as a death sentence. A relationship counselor can be a big help, but you both have to agree to that for obvious reasons. if you can't get him to do that and give your relationship a chance to make it through this rough patch, then you might consider a counselor for yourself to help you cope with how people are changing the way they behave around you.

I had some friends get that way around me and I just cut them out. I don't want anything to do with them anymore. I try not to be, but I am a little bitter about it. I also found friends where I didn't expect so that helped me divert my focus somewhat.

Leave a Comment