Boyfriend growing distant

I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for five months now and I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 3 months in. After I was diagnosed we moved in together and everything seemed to be going well ( we are both 20) until a week ago when he decided he wanted to take a break. He says it"s because he doesn't think I trust him and that he needs space but I'm afraid that he isn't ready to handle that im sick.I haven't seen him in almost a week which doesn't seem very long but he's been my main support and caregiver throughout this whole process. My family is not very supportive and I don't have many friends around here because I was living away at school until I got sick so all of my friends are about 2 hours away. I've never been so in love with someone in my life and im so afraid I'm losing him. I've tried talking to him a few times since we've been on this break and the way he talks to me just isnt the same. I can hear it in his voice that the way he feels has changed. I've been so depressed and I have no one to talk to. Someone please help.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • byexleybyexley Community Member
    I am so sorry to hear that your boyfriend seems to be having a really hard time with your situation and is distancing him from you. It's hard enough to go through mentally and physically anyways and now you are dealing with more emotional stuff. I can't really say I know how you feel as I never dealt with a boyfriend doing that to me. I actually distanced myself from someone but I did have friends somewhat distance themselves from me as they were having a hard time dealing with it. If you need someone to talk send me a message.
  • Am sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time with trying to battle cancer and your boyfriend distancing himself from you. I'm a girlfriend (22) to my boyfriend (25yrs old) with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I think maybe for everyone it is different on how to handle someone being sick and getting sicker. Sometimes may be due to not handling stress, difficult situations in life, and knowing how to care for that person very well. From the perspective (of a care-taker) there's been many times I've been emotional stressed and/or drained, it's difficult to stand by and watch someone be sick and wanting to help but can not. I'm not exactly sure as to how he has communicated to you with how he's dealing with things, but I would be willing to talk to you (if u wish to talk to me) about how things are going (with you and/or the both of you) through this difficult time.
    PS - through what you just wrote about, I think he is having a difficult time mentally and emotionally because he loves and cares about you..which is probably why he said he wanted a break.