Bones that ache months after radiation

Does anyone else who went through pelvic radiation have hips or bones that ache months after treatment?

I had 25 rounds of pelvic radiation for cervical cancer just under two years ago. The first few months after treatment were fine. But for the past year and a half, I have pain/aches in my hips and femurs. Mostly when I sleep. The aching wakes me up if I've been in one sleep position for too long. Then I have to rotate or lay flat...whatever feels better. I've also had this same painful feeling if I have walked for too long. I like to hike and walk the dog, but I start to feel it after about a half mile of walking.

This weekend I went on a solo road trip. The trip was 2.5 hours. But after 1 hour, my hips were killing me. I ended up getting out at 1.5 hours to walk and stretch and just stand up. So if I'm in any position for too long, the hips hurt. It sucks. I told my doctor about it this month and I get the same excuse, I mean reason, that I get every time. "Radiation caused that. It will go away with time." I have heard this line A LOT in the last year and a half. RADIATION SUCKS!!!

Does anyone else have bone pain caused by radiation? Did you get any good advice or find any tips or something to try to help with the pain? I'm just tired of being cancer-free but still dealing with long term side effects and sometimes feeling worse than I ever felt before cancer.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I wish I had an answer for you but at least I can commiserate on how much it sucks to have chronic pain... I have pain in my back and lungs all the time courtesy of cancer. I have to sleep in a recliner so I can breathe and on my stomach so I avoid putting pressure on a particular spot on my back - kind of ridiculous! I wake up in the middle of the night to take more painkillers because I'm allergic to longer acting prescription painkillers. My doctors looked at several different scans but because the particular spot causing pain in my back doesn't show clearly in any of the scans (you can literally SEE and FEEL a lump) so they can't do anything. I already had radiation to get rid of the worst spot in my lungs which did help. It's frustrating though to have a problem that doctors can't fix. I just do my best to respect my body's limits and use a reusable flax seed hot cold pack to help when my back is really bothering me. I play video games or do things to distract myself and of course take my painkillers so I can function semi normal. In the end I don't feel too badly on the average day, so life is still good :) Hope things get better for you soon!
  • Thanks Mishanne. At least I know I'm not alone! Just hearing about someone else's similar pain is somehow supportive and comforting.

I also love how even though we're all dealing with some load of crap thanks to cancer, we've all figured out how to put a positive spin on it, someway somehow.

• For anyone looking for dense nutritional support to help their bodies in fighting disease and help recovering from treatment of disease please contact us at GetHealthierNow@outlook.com. You will learn about nutrient dense, organic, non-gmo, vegan super foods to support and detoxify your body.  We wish all good health.  Here is a great article http://phpbackoffice.azurewebsites.net/Content/Files/StudiesTartCherry.pdf

• I finished chemo/radiation in January for cervical cancer. I do have pain in my bones/joints but I also have Lymes so I am not sure which is causing it. I am just glad to be finished with treatment (hated every min of it!). I am happy that you are cancer free!! I go for my first scan post surgery/treatment at the end of May and I hope to also hear that there is no evidence of any cancer.
  • Lyme disease? I had that in 2006! Second worst health experience in my life. I used to think that was the worst pain I've ever had to deal with. Until cancer.

It sounds like our diagnoses and treatments were very similar. So comforting to find a soul who is in my shoes. You get it!!!!! I will pray for your post-treatment scan in May. I know the anxiety it causes...you can't wait to go, but you fear it also. I truly wish you all the best in your post-cancer journey.

• mzunrsmzunrs Community Member
    Preciousmae: THANK YOU! I'm in tears just knowing that I'm not alone (there's days that I feel like a freak, because my family just doesn't get it!) I also suffer from the debilitating hip and general pain. I had 1b1 cervical wth 6 rounds of cisplatin, 20 rounds of external, and 5 internal. My last treatment was 10 months ago. Before everything I worked full time as a Registered Nurse. I could work 12+ hours 5 days/week without a blink. Now? I'm only able to be a simple secretary three days/week, and those have to be every other. I hate this feeling. Physically I hurt, financially I'm not able to work, mentally m a basket case.