Cancer effected my relationship

I need help bad! So here's my story, my girlfriend and I got together my senior year after my senior football season and two days before I was diagnosed with hogkins lymphoma and she stuck with me through it all even when I was mean rude and a person I am not proud of I broke up with her twice because after my treatments I was a mess mentally and spiritually. This last breakup I didn't want because we love each other and I can't imagine a life without her. We faught a lot but I was getting better and becoming the guy I was that she fell in love with. She says she needs time and see me change which I have and still am. I know my mistakes and I have asked for God and asked her for forgiveness. What do I do I love this girl and want to prove to her I'm the person she met. What do I do?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would just be open and honest with her, Tell how you felt emotionally and physically during treatment and explain that's why you acted the way you did. I am sure she understands from that aspect of it. But maybe she is going through her own emotional rollercoaster being a caregiver. Give her the time she needs and maybe look into meet ups for caregivers and or for yourselves as a couple or solo. I hope this helps.
  • Honestly, my boyfriend and I have gone through basically the same thing since I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. He really stepped up and has been so sweet but I've been struggling so hard with the changes and the sickness and I've been mean and impossible. He about had it with me too, but all you can do is try to be better. When I get angry, I just try to remind myself that he's on my side, which is very important. It's easiest to get angry with the people closest to you, but it's the worst thing to do.
    When you get upset, just try to take a few deep breaths. Calm down. And talk to her. Let her know how you're feeling, and that the problem isn't with her, it's within you. If you love her, all you can do is work on yourself. And that's life with or without cancer. I made an appointment with a therapist who specializes in younger cancer patients to try to balance myself so I quit burning bridges. Maybe that is something that you would be interested in too?