Hi!

Hi,my name is Guy. I found out this summer, that I have epidermoid carcinoma of the salivary gland. I had a tumor removed and it came back cancerous. This whole summer has been confusing, to say the least. I'm 30, have hemophilia, legally blind and have had 2 strokes,before the age of 3. Hospitals have been my second home my whole life. Over the years, my hemophilia has been managed. I can't drive, due to vision loss. Cancer should be nothing,right?! Wrong! This is the first time, that I have know clue, about anything. From how I'll feel, I understand everyone's different, that's all I hear. Even figuring out my treatment and fertility options. I get to go 5 days a week, of radiation. One day a week chemo. For 6 weeks. Thank you guys for your time and I'd love any help you guys have! :)

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, how are you doing? Hope you will be fine soon. Everyone goes through same when they are diagnosed. Everyone will come out of it sooner or later...you too :)
  • Hi Guy! Sounds like you have definitely had some road blocks thrown your way. I am a 6 year breast cancer survivor but I have also been working as a practice manager for my medical oncologist for the last 5 years. Some advice, listen to what your body and mind is telling you and pay attention to what your doctor tells you. If you feel the medical staff isn't explaining things to where you can understand, just ask. Sometimes we get caught in the lingo that we speak daily and forget that we are using terms that people outside of an oncology office probably don't understand.  Keep a pad of paper nearby and write down questions as they come to you. Try not to google too much. There is an abundance of information out there and a lot of it is not applicable to you. Trust your medical team because trust me, they care about you way more than you may think.  
    As far as fertility options go, men have it a lot easier! Ask your doctor if any of the hospitals near you have a sperm bank. Make sure you do this before you begin treatment. 
    I never had to do rad so I don't have a lot of advise for you there.
    Do you know what chemotherapy you will be receiving?
    I wish you the best! I always told myself before treatments, "Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" 
    This will too!!

Leave a Comment