New to this...

Hello! I am 20 years old and got recently diagnosed with Synovial Cell Sarcoma, I finished my first round of chemotherapy and it was VERY hard. Then I got a fever a bout 5 days after finishing chemo and was in the hospital for 4 days and got two blood transfusions. Today I am finally home. I also shaved my head today because it was getting patchy. Is anyone else new to this? I just need someone to talk to who understands what I am going through. 
Thank You    

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi. First of all I hope you're feeling better! I'm not new to chemotherapy but I can tell you that it is indeed very hard and the feelings you are having are completely normal. I had stage IV rare non-hodgkins lymphoma so my chemo regiment was high dosage and included spinal taps. I was in the hospital for nearly a month straight right away due to post spinal headaches from the spinal taps and I definitely had difficult times during that where I was bedridden for multiple days. Don't be surprised by getting fevers or infections because those definitely happen during chemo especially when you're neutropenic. I had a staph infection after my 2nd round which is very serious and a chain of fevers to add on to that. Overall I endured 4 rounds of intense chemo and am now in remission and I will say while those 4 months were very difficult it's well worth it in the end and you'll be very appreciative of life and your body does return to normal! Mine hasn't yet but I'm getting there. Most importantly STAY STRONG and STAY POSITIVE it goes a long way and plays a big role in this difficult journey! Best of luck and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me.
  • HI sabiolper

I hope this finds you well and more importantly that your home and not stuck in a hospital room.

Chemo is the hardest thing I've ever done. Everyone treatment is different and challenges them in their own way. I had 5 weeks of daily chemo, hospitalization, neutropenia and so many blood transfusions I can keep track of. Then I started outpatient chemo, so 120 sessions later I am now in remission.

My biggest advice to you is create a routine. mine was everyday I would force myself to get out of bed, make it, shower and eat breakfast if I could at the table. But then go nap...Naps are important.

Find something that brings you joy each day. Simple things such as baking cookies, to doing your own laundry. Writing. What ever you enjoy. Lean on your friends and family for support. It is okay to ask for help, even with the simplest of tasks. That was my hardest lesson to learn. Being young you feel unbreakable, then you are young and then diagnosed with cancer and still feel the need to be tough for your family and friends. They want to help you, so let them.

I hope this finds you well and you can message us anytime if you need to vent,

Cheers,

Amy

Leave a Comment