Hello! New Here!

Greetings All,
    I was diagnosed back in 2006 when i was 18 with stage II Hodgkin's Lymphoma. For about 6 months i went through a series of chemotherapy and radiation. 9 months later i had a relapse and was treated again for another 4 months with stronger doses of chemotherapy and radiation, this time around i also had an autologous stem cell transplant. I am now 27 years old and have been cancer free for about 8 years. My only long term effect is that i have Hypothyroidism since i had radiation on my neck. I currently take levothyroxine to keep my thyroid levels normal. I was also taking birth control since 2009 since my period was irregular and i was having bad hot flashes. I've been living a pretty "normal" life after treatment, its been hard for me to finish college since i started much later and I wasn't able to decide exactly what i wanted to do with my life. Some call this "chemo brain". But just 2 years ago after receiving my associates in accounting I've decided and I'm determined to finish my bachelors in Business, expected finish date is Fall 2017. 
Also I'm happy to announce that I am expecting, I'm due this fall in September. I am really excited and overwhelmed since I wasn't sure if this would even be possible. My doctors had told me it was a 50/50 chance of fertility, but that i had other options if i wasn't able to conceive on my own. It wasn't until this passed December that my boyfriend and I decided to "give it a try" and for that month i stopped taking birth control and bang i immediately became pregnant. I still have a good relationship with my oncologists and especially with my Nurse practitioner and they were all extremely happy for me and amazed how quickly i was able to conceive. God is good! 
They key is to keep a positive mindset, even when times are rough. My favorite quote is "Tough times don't last, tough people do."
Just wanted to share my story, hope some of you can find it helpful. If you have any questions I'm willing to help as much as i can. 

Comments

Leave a Comment