Open call for patient stories!

Hi there,

I'm an artist (and young adult) living and working in Los Angeles with brain cancer. I was diagnosed about two years ago and just recently finished treatment (radiation and chemo). In that time I've been making artwork about the experience of a young adult with illness. I have an upcoming piece that is community based and if anyone is interested, I would love to invite you to contribute and/or share it among your networks as you see fit!

So since my own diagnosis, I have become acutely aware of the additional burden women face from the medical community. For this new project, I've created an open call for stories from self-identifying women about negative experiences they've had in dealing with the medical community. I am looking for instances of oppression, discrimination, sexism, disbelief, or any negative gender-specific dialogue you have experienced as a female patient in the healthcare system. I plan to read these stories aloud during the opening of a feminist exhibition. With this sharing of stories, I'm hoping to address women's invisibility in direct opposition to the idea that sickness and “feminine” vulnerability are weaknesses to remain unspoken. 

I have already received a handful of stories, each one as horrifying as the last. I'm sad to say I know there are so many more out there, and I would love to help give some of those women a voice.

You can find all the info on my website http://siobhanhebron.com/ or my Instagram: shebron

Please don't hesitate to send me any questions you may have. Thank you for being an amazing community!

In solidarity,
Siobhan