Genetic counseling student in need of tough survivors' help and guidance!

My name is Victoria and I am a genetic counseling student at Long Island University. For those who may not know what genetic counselors do- We help individuals turn scary and intimidating genetic tests/information/results into something that a 16-yr-old or a 60-yr-old would understand. We promote an individual's autonomous decisions by providing an unbiased point of view. And most importantly, we become a confidant and a shoulder to lean on during times when one feels helpless or vulnerable. 

Back to why I am here; in order to graduate, we have to complete a thesis. The idea that sparked the most passion and genuine desire to find answers to is how to better the communication about fertility preservation + cancer. I would love to post a survey on the discussion boards with questions that would hopefully increase the knowledge an individual and his/her cancer team has regarding reproduction options one can have before and after treatment. 

Please send some feedback and any experiences that you are open and willing to share that would help me to create the most comprehensive survey!

Stay fighting,
Victoria 

Answers

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi Victoria,
    I'm very familiar with genetic counseling. I have FAP which I found out about through genetic testing after my cancer diagnosis. I'm not sure what you are asking. Was I fully informed of my options for having children before and after treatment? Yes, thankfully my oncologist and his team of nurses and doctors laid everything out for me. I am a clinical social work student and a two-time cancer survivor (thyroid and colon) so I'm willing to help you in any way that I can. I'm just not sure what type of help you are looking for?
  • MVTMVT Community Member
    Thank you! 

I'd just like to know what exactly they discussed with you regarding fertility. And if there was anything you wished for them to inform you about that they did not. 

I am trying to see how genetic counselors can help facilitate such a difficult time and topic. 

Best,
    Victoria 
  • Hey Victoria, Feel free to message me with any questions you have. I'm more than willing to share my fertility experience with you. Ralph
  • MVTMVT Community Member
    Hello Ralphie, 

Thank you much. I will reach out once ready! 

Best,
    Victoria