*ATTENTION* DFW Cancer Patients/Survivors/Caregivers

Hi everyone@

My name Lindsay and I was diagnosed with ALL in May 2015.  I was 29 when I received the news, and I have been a patient ever since.  I won't go into a long story to bore anyone, because I am sure my story is just as long as anyone's.  I am working on getting a meet-up group set up in the DFW area.  We would be meeting at the Truck Yard in Dallas, October 1st,  for our first time.  They have awesome food trucks around the yard and a bar in the back.  I want to be able to build a foundation of young adult support in the area.  Somewhere we can meet new people, share stories, and possibly create new friendships.  If this is something that you think you would be interested in, then PLEASE contact me!  You can find me on Facebook with my e-mail Ldgray419@yahoo.com OR you can e-mail me directly.  If you add me on Facebook just message me with who you are and I can add you to the event that was created.  Thank you so much to anyone who reads this.  I look forward to meeting new people and sharing "war stories".--Lindsay

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SurvivedSurvived Community Member
    edited August 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down

That sounds great, Lindsay. Unfortunately, I'm in Central Florida and I don't think we have anything like that over here. There was a StupidCancer support group that I went to a few of times but, the leaders of that group moved to California and I haven't heard anything about a start up of a new group. I'm part of a cancer support group that meets once a month but, they are older people. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with older people, it's just there seems to be more of a connection when you're talking to peers. I'm 30 by the way.

• I absolutely agree that it's hard to connect with others when they are older. I believe there are different things you go through at different ages even without cancer involved. I'm sorry the leaders of the past group moved. You do know that you are able to host your own meet ups, right? You can even post onto stupid cancer and they will post it on their website and send you a meet up kit. That way you could start them back up again. I bet there are others that miss them too. You could always talk to me if you need to. Even if it's because you are having a bad day. I am 30 as well.
  • SurvivedSurvived Community Member
    edited August 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down

No, I didn't know that we are able to host our own meet ups but, I feel like I'm not a "leader type" of person. I'm past all the chemo + radiation treatments, but surgery + all of cancer treatment didn't leave me unscathed.

This is my story that I post on this site back in 2012:  [ I was diagnosis with a malignant (cancer) brain tumor in May of 2000, a couple of days before my 14 b-day. I had to go to Arnold Palmer Children's Hospital because there were, and probably still are, very few pediatric neurosurgeons in the United States. I live in Ormond Beach, Florida and this Hospital is in Orlando, Florida which is about 1 hour away. I had it removed a day after I was diagnosed and ended up lying in a hospital bed in a coma-like state for my 14th b-day. I was in the hospital in that coma-like state for 6 weeks after the surgery and then I was moved into a rehabilitation home for another 7 weeks. I had physical, occupational, and speech therapy while there. I couldn't talk for 7 1/2 weeks after the surgery. Of course, I didn't get speech therapy for the first 1 1/2 weeks at the rehab center because I couldn't talk. I went through 6 1/2 weeks of radiation and 52 weeks of chemo therapy on top of that, which was loads of fun (sarcasm). It was hard because the tumor was on my brain stem and severely affected my balance as well as the coordination in my left hand. I also went through tons of physical and occupational therapy after I came back home and have improved my balance and coordination immensely, though it's not where it was pre-surgery. I made it through all that and then 11 years later, the doctors discovered another brain tumor . I had it removed in January of 2012 and luckily it wasn't malignant, so I didn't have to have to get chemo therapy or radiation again. It was also right beneath my skull, lying on my brain and it wasn't in a critical area like the first one was. It was near my left temporal lobe which is pretty much where the top of the ear touches your head if you flatten it with your hand. But, it's still brain surgery no matter how you roll the dice . Remember, I was 14 at the time this happened so I was in the 8th grade and thus it had an enormous impact on my socialization. I was homeschooled for 9th and 10th grade and went back to public school for 11th and 12th. I had friends in high school b/c some of the kids that went to middle school with me also went to the same high school that I attended. But the problem was I had no real close friends and I tended to isolate myself from other people when I wasn't in school because I felt so different. Then after I graduated from high school, it became worse. I didn't know very many people at the college I attended and the isolation got worse. I got my AA and decided I had enough of school. Needless to say the isolation got even worse and then I found out I had another brain tumor, after 11 years tumor free. I had surgery to remove it in January of 2012. It wasn't cancer, so I didn't have to go through chemo or radiation. It wasn't in a critical part of my brain either, so I didn't have any side effects from the surgery. A month and a half later I fell into a deep bout of depression b/c of all the isolation I had been putting myself through and from bottling up all my feelings from the surgery in 2000 and 2012. It's better now, but I still have days when I get down. ]

I'm working part-time now at a library for the blind and that has helped a lot with get me out and socializing with other people as well as making new friends. 

• Thanks for the recommendation, motty.

• I would love to be a part of this, email: lilspradlin@gmail.com
  • SURVIVED - That is an incredible story.  All of that must have taken a lot of courage and strength from you.  Do you have any friends in your area that are cancer survivors as well?  How is your social life now?  I think you could absolutely hold a meet-up there!  If you post it a couple of months in advance, you get to know the people through social media before even meeting them.  That makes it a lot easier and less scary/stressful.  I just really believe that it helps to have friends or people in your life that you can relate to.  If you ever want to have a meet-up, let me know and I can help you.  I will give you my e-mail and you can e-mail me for anything, even if it is just because you are having a bad day and need a pick me up :) - ldgray419@yahoo.com.
  • Since I've re-read that post I made in 2012, I realize that my story I wrote back then is an extremely condensed version of the actual story, it is harsher than I made it out to be. I won't get into the nitty-gritty details.

I am doing a lot better now, partially because I am working part-time at the blind library so I am socializing with co-workers and keeping on a myself on a schedule, and the other part is I stopped focusing on trying to be who I was before this whole brain tumor ordeal. I mean there still are days that I think about it but, not like what it was when I made that posted.
     I also joined a cancer support group and a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) group and realized that even though I got dealt a shitty hand in life there are people out there have worse problems than I do.

On the strength and courage issue, I look at it as being thrown in a really bad situation and there only being two paths. Either you can go forward on the cancer treatment path and have a shot at living life again or take the other path where you don't get treatment and ultimately succumb to cancer. It's a lot to go through when you're only 14, but I had no choice in the matter. Cancer doesn't care about age, race, gender, etc...
    I'm kind of depressing myself talking like that so I'll stop.

Thanks for your e-mail address if I have a bad day or something like that, I'll write. My name is Corey, by the way. 

• Hi Corey, 

Sorry for the VERY VERY late response.  I have been so so busy with stuff going on and i haven't logged in for a while.  Thank you for sharing some of your story and how things are going now.  I hope you do end up using my e-mail in the future if you ever need someone to talk to or have any questions!

--Lindsay