Brain Surgery #3

So brain surgery #3, shit just got real. We knew it was coming sort of. Ben started having seizures about two weeks after he stopped chemo. Maybe that was working? So they said his MRI was clear at the time. Two weeks laters seizures got worse, they upped one of his meds. Two weeks went by then bam they started again and more often. MRI upped, labs checked they were okay BUT the MRI was not. :/ Last week we found out Ben's brain cancer has spread. alot. Unfortunately they referred us to the neurosurgeon. From the previous 2 surgeries. Okay people talk about having multiple surgeries to watch someone endure that not okay. :/ Ben swore he'd never had another one again. He went in today fearing surgery and fearing they couldn't do anything. He came in and told us the MRI looked bad. We knew it has grown. And looks like bubbles very strange and in this world not good cuz of the way it is. He will get out what he can. And chemo will follow more than likely after they know what they are dealing with. Ah we have to tell our 11 yr old daughter and family still. Ben's 35 he's gotten 3 years. More than we know how lucky we are. ... well he worked for it a lot. He's been through hell and back. I am worried this time more than the others that he won't come out of it as smoothly. He said that infection is a big concern and he might lose some eye sight. :( sucks...life is kicking us in the balls right now. I have to somehow keep it all together for everyone and take care of everything on top of it all. I need a nap! Anyways I find myself coming to this site where people get it. Thank You!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • so sorry to hear that!
    I just had brain surgery #2 and we are hitting it hard now with chemo and radiation (actually proton beam) because in my surgeons words he "doesn't want to have to do a third surgery". Well yeah, me either!
    Good luck with everything, I hope he comes through with flying colors.
    And this totally sucks!
  • So sorry to hear about Ben. I am thankful for this site as well. Perfect strangers have given me an ear when I really needed one. My situation is a little different, but in ways the same. I am a single Mom of a son with an "incurable" type of brain cancer. He has had surgery, two gamma-knife operations and plenty of rad and non-stop Chemo since early 2011. This damn roller coaster can be quite exhausting, particularly for you taking care of your daughter too. I found that over time, I needed to add supports for ME to deal with the surprise tumors that pop up. I found Imerman's Angels to be an awesome support. They match you with another caregiver of someone with similar diagnosis. We talked on the phone and the other Mom made me realize that all my feelings were perfectly normal! There were times I wondered lol. I also started to see a therapist (referred by my son's hospital). Turns out that she is a Cancer therapist and is extremely knowledgeable about my son's cancer so I don't have to explain everything to her because she gets it. Keeping family updated (and I don't have an 11 year old) is one of the most exhausting things about being the caregiver. I will pray that Ben's surgery goes better and that you can receive some strength that you need right now.
    Autumn Dale;8661 said:
    So brain surgery #3, shit just got real. We knew it was coming sort of. Ben started having seizures about two weeks after he stopped chemo. Maybe that was working? So they said his MRI was clear at the time. Two weeks laters seizures got worse, they upped one of his meds. Two weeks went by then bam they started again and more often. MRI upped, labs checked they were okay BUT the MRI was not. :/ Last week we found out Ben's brain cancer has spread. alot. Unfortunately they referred us to the neurosurgeon. From the previous 2 surgeries. Okay people talk about having multiple surgeries to watch someone endure that not okay. :/ Ben swore he'd never had another one again. He went in today fearing surgery and fearing they couldn't do anything. He came in and told us the MRI looked bad. We knew it has grown. And looks like bubbles very strange and in this world not good cuz of the way it is. He will get out what he can. And chemo will follow more than likely after they know what they are dealing with. Ah we have to tell our 11 yr old daughter and family still. Ben's 35 he's gotten 3 years. More than we know how lucky we are. ... well he worked for it a lot. He's been through hell and back. I am worried this time more than the others that he won't come out of it as smoothly. He said that infection is a big concern and he might lose some eye sight. :( sucks...life is kicking us in the balls right now. I have to somehow keep it all together for everyone and take care of everything on top of it all. I need a nap! Anyways I find myself coming to this site where people get it. Thank You!

Leave a Comment