a way to share your story and concerns -any help would be appreciated!

Hello. My name is Sara Sekine. I am a reporter and graduate student from Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism. 

I'm currently working on a longform audio story about young adult cancer patients/survivors. The reporting will highlight the challenges of young adult cancer patients and survivors, such as coping with isolation, financial burden, mental health issues, fertility, or just talking about cancer with family, friends and loved ones, as they go through treatments and survivorship at a crucial stage in their life.  

This story is important to me because I lost my mother to cancer at a young age and have been deeply affected by the experiences. 
I’m hoping that, by telling this story, I can address the needs of young adult cancer patients/survivors and their families, foster a better understanding about emotional aspects of cancer treatment, and contribute to more open conversations about the issue. 

My thesis will be under the supervision of Prof. Daniel Alarcon, the executive producer of Radio Ambulante, the first Spanish podcast on NPR.

If you are interested in talking about your experiences for the story, please contact me at 917-453-8761 or sara.sekine@columbia.edu. I’m available anytime and I’d be happy to talk with you and answer questions or concerns you might have.

I’m especially keen on talking with someone who is currently going through treatment and someone who has loved ones going through the process. But I’m happy to talk with anyone who experienced cancer-related issues.

Thank you for taking time to read this and looking forward to hearing from you.

Sara Sekine

Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism '17
(917)453-8761
sara.sekine@columbia.edu