People feeling like one cancer is more important than another

My Mother has stage 4 colon cancer. I created a shirt to raise funds to help with her medical expenses. The shirt says "Not All Cancer is Pink" is with blue ribbon behind it.

Her best friend messages me and said I feel like you are slamming breast cancer and I will not buy this. I am like the problem is people only think about breast cancer. When I tell people my mom has cancer they always assume it is breast cancer. Not every woman with cancer has breast cancer.

I thought it was a fun and cute idea to maybe raise a little awareness about another cancer.

I am super annoyed with this. All cancer's are important it wasn't meant to slam something.

What are yalls thoughts?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • A couple thoughts...

First, I applaud you for raising awareness of all cancers--not just breast cancer.

Second, are you sure your mother's friend is her best friend? It seems like a best friend should be more concerned about her friend (your mother), helping her raise funds and fight cancer instead of criticizing the shirt.

Now maybe the best friend has one or more other friends with breast cancer so she's equally-defending all cancers, supporting your argument... but I doubt it.

Anyone who has been treated for cancer, or a loved one very close to someone who has, understands that cancer is cancer, and all are important like you said.

I'm sorry your mother's friend will not support your mother. A true friend should support their friend regardless of what a t-shirt says.
  • Q4lifeQ4life Community Member
    Sounds like a #allcancersmatter moment. Guawow. Hope it worked out.
  • juls4juls4 Community Member
    I'm rolling my eyes reading what that woman said. I have breast cancer and from day one after diagnosis I felt like there were pink ribbons everywhere and I kept thinking "Where are the other ribbons? Why do we have to separate the cancers like this?" Personally I refuse to wear any pink ribbons or pink BC shirt because I think it makes it look like my cancer is more important. I understand that research-wise, every cancer is different and requires different treatments and the point of the ribbons is to raise money for a particular cancer, but it seems there should be a pool of cancer money that just gets divided out among all the cancers so we can work on curing all of them at once. Did you know that childhood cancers are the most under-funded for cancer research? I think that's insane. You mom's friend is completely out of line in my opinion. Not all cancer is pink is not saying we should stop funding breast cancer research, it's just pointing out that other cancers like colon cancer are rarely talked about and therefore tend not to raise as much money. All cancer is bad. All disease is bad. It's not a competition. If she really had a problem, she could have donated money and not taken the shirt, or thrown the shirt in the garbage after buying it. I hope your mother has success with treatment! It's terrifying but it sounds like she has a supportive family and that's so important! Good for you and I hope you sell lots of shirts!