Life after cancer

Hi, this is my first time here i was diagnosed with stage 3 Hodgkins lymphoma one year ago today and I've been in remission since October i did the 6 cycles of abvd chemo followed by 15 days of radiation. Im 28 yrs old and im a single mom of 4 and as rough as treatment was, so far it seems that life after cancer is far worse (i feel like an ungrateful jerk for even allowing myself to say that, but its true) i dont have much in the way of support its just my mom really which im extremely greatful for her, but when you look in the face of death and receive such a lack of support from friends and family it makes you realize how little people value you. As soon as I finished my treatment i had to return to work because well the show must go on rent needs to be paid and kids need food. Im depressed 24 hours a day and I just cant shake the feeling of maybe I would of been better off not doing the treatments..... then there's the constant obsession over relapse or a secondary cancer, ughhh i think that's enough of a rant for now, thanks to anyone who read this, id greatly appreciate advice on how survive the darkness that is life after cancer

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey there - I'm 27 going on 28 and just finished treatment at the end of January, so I felt pretty compelled to comment on this! I was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in Sept 2014 and finished treatment at the end of January, so roughly 2.5 years. I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time... and that you haven't had much support from family and friends. My family has been my everything through treatment, I moved into my parents basement when I was diagnosed at 25, but I've definitely seen who my real (few) friends are. I can totally relate to your anxiety/obsession with the thought of relapse and secondary cancers.... it's brutal. I can get lost in my mind and fear for hours. A lot of days are spent worrying. I find I have to be really intentional with my thoughts, and aware of them. Are you religious in any kind of way? I have leaned on God in many moments of my treatment. If you have any time for yourself (being a working single mom of 4 I know that time for yourself is probably really limited), maybe try yoga or some kind of fitness routine? I have found in the last several months that exercising (mainly power walking) has boosted my mood or "mental state"
  • Hey there! I know its been a couple of months but I wanted to try to help. If either of you figured it all out PLEASE let me know as I don't have it all together.

I also did abvd and radiation and am cancer free for 1 year and 1 month. I enjoyed a huge support group during treatment. But after treatment when I got busy and everyone wanted a piece of me little by little the support has gone down. Its like, hey you made a bigger deal of that than it was because obviously you're still alive, or wow if I was you I'd be so grateful and doing so many awesome things (as opposed to what I'm actually doing.

What helps me is running and literally trying to do a lot of things. I am currently finding out that over working myself isn't really helping so I am trying to reorganize my life. I feel like if I am having to answer the question, " what would you do if you were given a million dollars" except instead of money, I have been given a second chance at life with a little more time.

I can handle pain, but this is driving me crazy. If I would have told myself I was having this peoblem in the middle of cancer treatment I would be laughing at myself, but right now its no joke.

Some tips that are helping me is running ALOT, reading the bible and listening to some hillsong worship tracks. Sick beats!