Brain Cancer

Hi, I'm Maurissa and I'm 20 years old. When I was 7 years old my whole life changed forever. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. They didn't know it was cancerous until it burst. The brain tumor was on my brain stem. Even though I'm in remission I have some long term effects of my brain tumor. I have a permanently paralyzed right arm and leg.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SurvivedSurvived Community Member
    Hi Maurissa, my name is Corey and I am 30 years old. I had a cancerous brain tumor removed from my brain stem when I was 14 years old. It also changed my life forever.
    The surgery, itself, messed up my balance, which is still not where it use to be pre-surgery but is better and has improved vastly , and also the coordination in my left hand. I also had chemo therapy and radiation which had permanent effects on me, too.
    The radiation killed a lot of hair follicles on head so it left me bald. It also did some neurological damage. My pituitary gland was damaged by the radiation along with my thyroid gland. The only permanent side effect that of chemo therapy that I had is damaged my hearing.
    I've been in remission since all that happened, but I did find it hard to adjust to the version of me that came out of all those treatments for the brain tumor.
    I am sorry to hear that the brain tumor permanently paralyzed your right arm in leg, but I'm glad to hear that you are in remission.

Leave a Comment