Documenting Cancer to Raise Awareness

Hello everyone! My name is Emily and I'm currently studying photojournalism in Rochester, N.Y. I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma when I was 9 years old and was cancer free about one year later. For the next 10 years or so I pushed it under the rug because I didn't identify as a cancer survivor because my experience didn't involve chemo. I had been so conditioned of what a "traditional" cancer story should be.

That's where photography comes in.

I'm starting a year long documentary about the challenges that face young adults as they battle cancer because its so important to raise awareness about the specific changes that teens and young adults go through outside of cancer. In order to start this documentary, I am looking for young adults who are willing to share their story with me and in turn share their story with the public to raise awareness. I often wonder that if I had heard someone's story about their experience that was similar to mine, if it would have helped me cope better. If I could help just one person realize that there is someone else out there going through what they are going through, then I would be perfectly happy.

If anyone would want to be part of this story or know someone who might want to be (preferably in the Upstate New York area), please let me know!

Thanks!

Leave a Comment