People Don't Know How to Treat Cancer Survivors

I've noticed that over time, people don't know how to treat a cancer survivor
Tagged:

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ever since I was diagnosed with cancer, it has been the same thing for everyone. All they ever say is "I'm so sorry that you had to go through this," Or "That must have been horrible!" I don't want to hear that, I just want love and support from everyone, that's all. I wish that they would learn how to truly treat someone with cancer!
  • Q4lifeQ4life Community Member
    I can relate. I end up consoling them. The spontaneous crying kills me. I’m not dead yet. Look ma no toe tag.

Yet I can only control my response or reaction to the actions of others. I am very direct. Cancer triggers fear and anxiety. As well as mortality issues that are avoided with distractions. So when you show up with your pink C it causes a fight or flight in others.

I call a spade ♠️ a spade ♠️ by calling them on their shit in a gentle way. I had an ex find out about my diagnosis. He would call at all hours & press to face time or want to see me. I told him I didn’t share his urgency to see me. I was feeling sick, loosing my hair, having chemo symptoms & the last thing I wanted to do was be entertainment.

I also notice how some people want to make you their Facebook charity selfie project to demonstrate their social value by being your “friend”. It’s nice to have a place like this to vent & be aware of how cancer affects survivors & Norms as I like to call them.