Adjusting to my "new look"...

So this past March I was marked in remission after undergoing chemotherapy for six months being treated for AML( Acute Myeloid Leukemia). I am now 24 years old and I must say 24 year old me looks a heck of a lot different than 23 year old me. Going into treatment I was somewhat underweight for my height, I had long brown hair that I loved to braid, and my skin was super sensitive, to EVERYTHING. During treatment the docs put me on a monthly Lupron injection to try and preserve my fertility, this injection mimicked menopause, not too fun but I'll take it if it gives me a chance to have kids one day. So anyways coming out of treatment I not only was bald but put on an extra 25 lbs, in some areas I am not mad about but in others it was not what I was use to. Now I am pretty blessed to stay I have had my boyfriend stick with me through it all and though he really didn't seem to mind the new look I did. Eventually I just told myself, hey you can rock this look way better than anyone you know so who cares, your alive, your done with treatment, now get on with it.

This led me to take self portraits and really highlight what I like about my new look, and it actually made me feel great about my new look. I have been into photography for about 6 years now and I have decided to start up my own non-profit photography organization where I take pictures of other cancer survivors and we talk about our journey through out treatment, and I love it! I am local to Wilmington NC but if anyone wants to try and do a shoot sometime lets figure it out and have some fun doing it, we deserve it after all:)

The organization I have started is called Courage After Cancer, and I hope to have a web page for it by the end of summer I just want to do more shoots beforehand!
Tagged:

Leave a Comment