Where is everyone?

Let me start off by saying that I am so thankful for all my friends who have stepped up through my treatment. But being 18, and just out of high school, my friends are beginning to show up/ talk to me less and less. And that's so hard. This process can be so isolating, and even though I try to understand, going through something like this with no one to talk to sucks. When I hangout with some of my friends, they'll talk to me about their boy problems or how stressed they are about little things.. and I feel like I can't really relate anymore. Being a teenager with cancer and going through treatment is tough.. but being alone too makes it even harder. And how am I supposed to vent to the same people I'm trying to keep strong? It's just a very hard situation to navigate through.
Any advice? Anyone to talk to?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I was originally diagnosed in college and most of my friends slowly disappeared whether it was they wanted to avoid cancer which just happened to coincide with avoiding me or we lost touch because I was busy with treatment and they were busy with their life. I found it useful to vent online even just to strangers so I don't worry my family and friends since them worrying makes me worry more! I have made some lovely new friends and just accepted as life moves on so do friends sometimes. I believe people's problems are relative to their life experiences... cancer is a big experience that may make many other things insignificant in comparison but to people that haven't had such a big life experience their scale of what is "bad" will be vastly different and the younger they are the less likely they have had enough truly bad experiences to put things in perspective. Not to disrespect anyone but I try to speak to people at their own level so if boy trouble is the worst thing to them I acknowledge that and do my best to listen patiently knowing that something that seems unimportant to me might be a huge thing for them and they need support according to how they feel not what I think. It doesn't seem to me that the practice of comparing bad experiences between people is always very relevant or helpful... what is helpful is having a friend to listen whether it is cancer, a boy, or just a stubbed toe - it's nice to know someone cares!
  • wesley_19wesley_19 Community Member
    I am here I had AML at 19,at 20 I was in remission and had a transplant.I would be more than happy to help