Feeling Alone

Hey everyone, my name's Jill. I'm 19 years old and a very recent chromophobe renal cell carcinoma survivor. I had to have a left radical nephrectomy earlier this month to remove both the tumor and the afflicted kidney. I have a great support system in the form of my friends and family, but unfortunately after my surgery, my relationship of nearly two years broke down. So now I'm dealing with navigating both my new status as a cancer survivor and all the pain that comes along with having to let go of someone you care about. Everyone in my life has tried to be very supportive, but it's hard when they haven't gone through anything like it themselves. I guess I'm just hoping to find people like that here, because right now I just feel very isolated and alone.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • wesley_19wesley_19 Community Member
    Hi my name is wesley,I had acute myeloid leukemia,and I felt the same way even though I had family and friends,I still felt like I was alone
  • MpowedMpowed Community Member
    Although I had family. I think you feel alone no matter what. No one knows what your going through, and how could they.

Atleast that is how I feel. At the same time, I do not want them to have to go through this mental sh*tstorm that is cancer. So I do not share and reach out, when I know I should.

Happy to hear you are doing good!
  • Hi Jill. It's natural to feel alone after battling with cancer. There is no quick fix for dealing with these feelings. I have found it helpful to speak with a counselor through the cancer center at the hospital. Having someone impartial to speak to helps me to periodically evaluate my emotional state. I hope you are doing well.

Leave a Comment