update on study about coping with cancer

Hello All,

I am a Clinical Psychology Doctoral Candidate and am working on my dissertation in which I explore how social support and personal coping styles might impact a cancer patient's emotional distress. My work is inspired by two dear friends who were diagnosed with cancer in their early twenties, one of whom is still in active treatment 11 years later.

I'm updating an earlier posting about this study, because the requirements for participation have recently changed. Remission - of any duration - no longer excludes you from participation, so if you are interested in completing the survey, but found that you were not able to do so before, please follow the link below to the revised version.

I am personally invested in this work and so I intend to approach it with the utmost respect. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me directly, or reply to this posting.

Thank you for consideration!
All the best,
Laura

“Expectations for Fighting Spirit in Cancer Patients: Analysis of the Relationships between Interpersonal Congruency and Mental Health Functioning”

You will be asked a series of questions regarding your coping strategies and psychological functioning after cancer diagnosis. In order to better understand how people cope with cancer, we are interested in hearing the voices of cancer survivors. You will qualify for the study if you are 18 years old or older and have been diagnosed with any type of cancer – excluding brain cancer - at least one month prior to participation in
the study. The entire study will take about 20 minutes to complete. If you are uncomfortable at any time, you are welcome to stop answering the questions.

You can use the following link to access the study:

https://adelphiderner.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e9xe5yeFiUBCKfr

Thank you for considering your participation. The study is confidential.
Please feel free to send this study to others who may qualify.
We appreciate your time.
Tagged:

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, I really think you studying this is really important work! In my experience with family members who have had cancer and even myself I have found that when it comes to the evaluation of those we were coping and the status of our mental health talking to the family members along with the patient who was getting treated at the time lead to a more honest and in depth answer rather than just simply going off what the patient initially claims. I think, at least especially in my case where I have multiple close family members who had cancer before me or at the same time as me (some families have a family business they do together, some have hobbies like running or performing and no one wants to be the family member that's different and be the odd man out and it turns out that my families thing is to fight, live with, and survive cancer and go on with life like it's the flu and because it felt that everyone else in my family coped so well with having cancer when I was asked how I was coping with my diagnosis I said everything was fine just like I heard all my family members say time after time, except I think I said it not because I believed it was true but I didn't really know how I felt or how I was coping and I never heard any other response and in all honesty I think I even convinced myself that I was coping okay so if I had been a part of a survey then I would have not been able to answer honestly) having the patient filling out the survey also have a family member or caretaker fill out a separate section of the survey regarding what they have observed about the coping abilities and mental health of the person with the cancer, then maybe it would help the study come to a more realistic conclusion. Just a thought, but I don't even know if that would even be something that is even a realistic thing to ask of people, or if it is something that you already considered and included in which case I am extremely sorry. I just really think this is really important and potentially can be very helpful or patients and their families and doctors. Maybe, if trying to ask people to ask someone else to sit opdown and fill a survey out with them if the survey includes questions about how they feel other people would describe their mental health and how their caretakers or loved ones would describe how well they think the cancer patient is coping with their own diagnosis so even if they are not ready to admit that maybe their mental health and or coping skills are not doing as well as they would like resulting in a possible less reliable outcome. I am sorry for typing a post a book long commenting and suggesting stuff that you didn't ask or maybe even want comments or suggestions on I just thought if it could in the slightest way help the survey that it would be worth at least trying!! Idk if you were planning on posting your findings on here after you are done with the survey, but I'd be really interested in reading the results you end up with! Good luck with the great work you are working towards, and maybe even someday finding a way to help future survivors cope with the emotional and mental roller coaster of dealing with a cancer diagnosis.

Leave a Comment