Cancer survivor seeking doctoral students for a study

Hello!

A little over a year ago, and shortly after completing treatment for breast cancer, I posted on this community writing about how I wanted to quit my doctoral program. Instead of quitting, I decided that I would make experiences of serious and chronic illness my dissertation focus.

So, for my dissertation study, I am seeking research participants for an in-depth interview study on experiences of serious and/or chronic physical illness while pursuing doctoral study.

This study was, in part, conceived following my own experience as a doctoral student who was diagnosed with cancer in the middle of my program. When I sought out literature and research about how to cope with illness alongside doctoral studies, I found few resources. I hope for this study to contribute to a greater understanding of what it takes to support students with serious and chronic illness to progress in their doctoral education.

I am seeking participants, in any discipline, who:

· graduated recently (within the last 3 years) with a doctoral degree OR are current students OR are former doctoral-level students who left prior to graduation from a US university

· and were diagnosed with a new serious and/or chronic illness during doctoral study (i.e. you did not begin your doctoral work with a known illness)

If you choose to participate in this study, you will be interviewed in a series of 3 separate interviews, totaling approximately 3-4 hours. (If necessary, a different arrangement may be possible). Interviews will be conducted in English.

If you are interested in learning more or have questions about meeting the selection criteria, please don’t hesitate to e-mail me at amc078@mail.harvard.edu or call me at 617-657-3470.

You may also complete a short confidential and secure selection screening survey at this link: https://harvard.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4OpXoz5lO9yeZp3. All inquiries and interviews are confidential and participation in the study is completely voluntary.

Thank you for your interest!

- Amy