Understanding PET scan results that lit up but maybe not enough to say it's back yet?

I am new to this site so sorry in advance if I do it wrong! However, I was wondering if anyone could help me better understand how my doctors are disagreeing on whether or not my my PET scan point to my cancer being back again or not? I was diagnosed around two years ago stage 4 lymphoma, did aggressive chemo, went into remission, then within the next month had symptoms again and it was back all over again so I did more chemo, bone marrow transplant and maintenance chemo which I finished in May and had a PEt scan that was clean. THEN, I just had another scan and new spots lit up, which made two of my doctors say it's back but the other two say to just wait and see. I am so tired of treatment and tired of fighting and just surviving instead of actually living my life, but at this point would even more treatment unsure if it's back do more harm then doing nothing? Or could it be worse doing nothing and waiting since this would be the third time. In two years? Even if it can at least help me answer the never ending question if I'm in remission or where I am in the cancer treatment. How am I supposed to answer that if my multiple doctors can't even agree?Personal experience or any. Wisdom would be appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Best Answer

Answers

• My husbands scan lit up .. But the biopsy came back negative. Previous radiation makes the scans lite up ... Stay positive!
  • I hope that you find that your cancer is still in remission. The PET scan will light up when there are cells that are using more sugar which can indicate inflammation rather than cancer. I have been in the situation before where I was waiting for a biopsy or some additional cell growth to indicate conclusively that my cancer was back. I know that it is hard to wait. All I am posting to say is that I understand your feelings, and I know that it sucks.