Bored During Treatment

Hi.
I have been diagnosed with stage four colon cancer. My oncologist told me that I should focus on being a full time patient.
I still haven't figured out how to handle being idle most of the time.
Everyone keeps telling me to just find more hobbies.
I have been spending a lot of time by myself. My fiancee works at least three twelve hour shifts a week. My friends and family have work and school.
Life moves on around me.
Prior to my diagnosis, I worked full time at a job that required 90 percent travel. It was difficult, stressful work that required a lot of my time and attention. With my current medical circumstances, returning to my old position is not really possible.
The oncologist told me that the medicine that I am currently taking is the medicine that I will be taking until it stops working or a better option becomes available.
There is no "getting better" goal for me. There is just figuring out how to live with my new circumstances.
It would be super awesome to hear from other young adults who have been in this situation. It would be even better to hear from someone with really helpful advise about overcoming this situation.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who took the time to read my post.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have stage 4 melanoma... I used to work a little part time as a structural engineer just to get out of the house but I haven't been able to work this year at all. I play games on my Xbox one and tablet, learned cross stitch and am making christmas presents, train my new rescue dog and walk her when I can, watch netflix, spend time on social media... I spend most my time alone so I let the Jehovah's witnesses in just to have someone to chat with - they are pretty nice although I have no plans of converting as I like getting blood products when needed! Basically I try anything to keep myself from going batshit crazy or getting depressed just sitting around. Mostly successful ;)
  • Hi Mishanne. It's so good to hear from you. Thank you for replying to my post. It is a comfort to know that I am not alone in feeling this way. It's funny. I also have let Jehovah's witnesses into my home just to have some company. I started keeping cookies for them. I have put out some applications to try to do some volunteering. I am hoping to find something that will get me out of the house but be flexible since I am currently in treatment.
    Making Christmas presents is an interesting idea. I may have to give that a try.
  • Hello, I have stage 2A hodgkin's lymphoma, although my last treatment is this upcoming Monday. I have been going through treatment for about 5 months and I've felt and sometimes still do feel the exact same way as you. I had to go on a medical leave from my job so I've been spending a lot of time in the house, which I wasn't particularly used to. It's hard because everyone around me works so it can feel very lonely during the day when I'm all by myself. I've spent my time reading, writing a blog, binging different TV shows, cleaning out my closets, going for walks and finding errands to go run. You are definitely not alone!
  • hope4acurehope4acure Community Member
    edited October 6 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I too had a full time job with travel. Treatments were hard and I felt so alone. I was bored and since post treatment it has gotten worse. It is hard for people to understand unless they have been were we are. I feel useless. I have tried some hobbies but quickly tire of them. Most days I am trying to do some housework or get back to a "normal" routine but I feel out of place. You are not alone.

Leave a Comment