One Year Later: Egg Harvesting, Struggling Mental Health

Hey guys,

At 21 I was diagnosed with a grade 2 astrocytoma in my left frontal lobe. May 2016 I had surgery and then a month later I was told I needed radiation and chemo. I was told if I did chemo I could become infertal and that was the one thing in life that I really really feared. I had to make a heartbreaking choice in 24 hours to have my eggs harvested or not to. I made the choice to freeze my eggs and a year later I still really struggling with what has happened. I get choked up when I bring it up, I think about it all the time. I feel alone knowing that I will probably not be able to have kids the natural way. Does anyone out there feel the same way?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • juls4juls4 Community Member
    It was similar for me when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was given 3 weeks to do the egg retrieval process. I tried to freeze embryos but unfortunately none of them survived to freezing. It was a huge shock and I felt so robbed of the natural process of having kids, but over time I adjusted to it. I wish there was something I could say or do to make the process easier for you, but I think it just takes time. First I was depressed about not having kids the natural way, then it became depression over not having any viable eggs and needing an egg donor, and now I'm Stage 4 and won't have children ever. The pain at every step of the cancer coping process is really tough and I feel for you. Anti-depressants really helped me be at peace and deal with the realities in a way that allowed me to feel sadness without being drowned in depression. Good luck, and hang in there!
  • talenatalena Community Member
    You are not alone. Cancer steals things from us, it's perfectly natural to mourn the loss, especially the loss of fertility and pregnancy. My oncologist insists that the body has an amazing ability to heal itself and your period may return even a year or more after your treatments finish. Hang in there, you can still be a mother should you choose to :)