Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Ask a Question

Favorite Books?

So I know that reading isn't the coolest thing ever, but I spent a good amount of time reading when I was in treatment. What do y'all like to read?

Five Years to Freedom-Nick Rowe

The Hatchet-Gary Paulson

Outside Magazine

Anything by Jon Krakauer

Comments

• 36 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tom Clancy's Hunt For the Red October is the only book I got all the way through during treatment. Managed to knock it out while waiting things out in bone marrow transplant housing.

Lost Moon -- Jim Lovell, a book about Apollo 13, I managed to somehow use this for every book report I was assigned in middle school and have read it a couple times

Every Man A Tiger -- Chuck Horner and Tom Clancy, regarding airpower in the first Gulf War

The Men Who Stare At Goats -- Jon Ronson, totally hilarious, creepy and awesome book all at the same time

Road to Baghdad -- Martin Stanton, a story about being an American military advisor held captive in Iraq during the first Gulf War

Currently finishing up Project Azorian, which discusses CIA efforts to recover a sunken Soviet submarine during the Cold War. I guess at this point it's pretty obvious to all that I am a huge military history and aviation book fan. I really like books about subs, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War and aviation, and all combinations of those subjects.
  • Oohh, good thread Carey -
    Lately I have been reading;
    A peoples history of the united states - Howard Zinn , it's really good so far.
    The Millenium Trilogy -- Stieg Larsson , all three were great but very violent.
    In the Woods -- Tana French and
    The Likeness -- Tana French, both were also really good but the Likeness made me meloncholy, probably not the best choice while in treatment. She really turned me on to crime / detective novels, they were never really my thing before I read her.
    Also, all of the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.
    And of course Harry Potter, yes, I know that I am a nerd but I love these books! I might just be taking them to the hospital with me when I get my transplant, reading them always puts me in a good mood.
    For magazines I really like Vanity Fair, National Geographic and Bust. Unfortunatly I live in the middle of nowhere now and can't find Bust at any of the local stores.
  • Can't go wrong with National Geographic (says the geographer)! My favorite magazine is Air and Space. I guess that shouldn't surprise anyone based on my book selections.
  • I just finished Rodeo in Joliet by Glenn Rockowitz which is a great cancer memoir. I really liked the style he wrote the book in.

Other books Time Travelers Wife, I Know This Much Is True, East of Eden, Harry Potter books, Hunger Games Trilogy ...
  • Erin - you just mentioned to of my favorites, His Dark Materials and the Hunger Games which I also just finished!

Alison - you can't go wrong with the Sookie Stackhouse books or Harry Potter. I actually just got back from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios and it was AMAZING!!

I read a lot of children's/ young adult books because I used to run the Children's Department of an NYC bookstore. Some of my favorites are The Fairy Wars by Herbie Brennan, Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, The Giver books by Lois Lowry which include The Giver, Gathering Blue and the Messenger.

I find that non fiction can also be fun and entertaining. Round Ireland with a Fridge is a hilarious tale about a UK comic hitchhiking across Ireland with a mini fridge in tow and it all started with a bet in a pub. I also really enjoyed The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club by Laurie Nataro.
  • I definitely agree with the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman- I have read all of them many times :) I also like Anne McCaffrey books when I just want something fun and relatively easy to ready. But currently I'm reading "In Fury Born" by David Weber... which I've also read many times and really like!
  • CareyCarey Community Member
    Jason Mlot;1189 said:
    Tom Clancy's Hunt For the Red October is the only book I got all the way through during treatment. Managed to knock it out while waiting things out in bone marrow transplant housing.

Lost Moon -- Jim Lovell, a book about Apollo 13, I managed to somehow use this for every book report I was assigned in middle school and have read it a couple times

Every Man A Tiger -- Chuck Horner and Tom Clancy, regarding airpower in the first Gulf War

The Men Who Stare At Goats -- Jon Ronson, totally hilarious, creepy and awesome book all at the same time

Road to Baghdad -- Martin Stanton, a story about being an American military advisor held captive in Iraq during the first Gulf War

Currently finishing up Project Azorian, which discusses CIA efforts to recover a sunken Soviet submarine during the Cold War. I guess at this point it's pretty obvious to all that I am a huge military history and aviation book fan. I really like books about subs, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War and aviation, and all combinations of those subjects.

If you like military history, check out Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fisher, about the New York and NJ Campaigns in the Revolution.
    Nixon and Mao by Margaret MacMillian was a fantastic study of Nixon's trip to China
    I loved Black Hawk Down
    And I found a hidden gem called the Seige of Mecca by Yaroslav Trofimov about the take over and massacre at the Grand Mosque in Mecca by Islamic radicals in 1979.

You can read my reviews on my blog (which is sadly not updated very often). http://chickensoupforthecanceroussoul.wordpress.com/
  • I might have to check those out. I've been trying to expand my horizons with history stuff. You mentioned Black Hawk Down, my next book in the pile is Inside Delta Force. I'm pretty sure it talks about that incident as well as attempted hostage releases in Iran, also in that time period. You wouldn't happen to know of any books about aerial recon in the Cuban Missile Crisis, would you? I have a personal connection to the subject, and can find very little. What I do find is kind of the glossed over Thirteen Days version of the story (great movie, but glorified only some of the crazies flying low altitude recon).
  • I read almost anything from classics, to horror, to fantasy, and so on. Currently, I am reading Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. I recently read The Hunger Games trilogy and loved it! I recommend it to any fantasy readers. Love the Sookie Stackhouse books, and anything by Laurell K. Hamilton. All time favorites include Little Women, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Lord of the Rings. Fave authors Stephen King, Jane Austen, Mary Higgins Clark, James Patterson, and so on.

I am interested in the His Dark Materials trilogy now, and always looking for good books. I am going to have check out some of what you all have suggested!
  • What is this 'book' you speak of?
  • Harry Potter all the way...

My favorite classic is Vanity Fair. I'm not even done yet, so I guess it will be my favorite, but I already know I love it. It's hilarious and the author even admits that he is writing in a drawn-out Victorian manner and some sections are boring but need to be there so hey, if he admits it's boring, I can deal with it.

I'm also currently reading the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson. I just started the third one. Really good, fast-paced (the first one starts out a bit slow though), but pretty violent and has some abuse scenes.

Repeat reads... I love depressing books, so anything Jodi Picoult but especially My Sister's Keeper. Favorite cancer memoir is The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan. Hilarious, but poignant. Favorite medical nonfiction is Your Critically Ill Child (it's touted as a guidebook for parents but what I got out of it is more a lay intro to medical ethics in regards to ERs, parent/child decisions, and critical care). Obviously, I like medical things. It's like a car wreck thing - can't stop watching. The closer it relates to my life, the more I love reading about it. Favorite non-medical nonfiction is Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It's a book about punctuation... but very funny. I love The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. To Kill a Mockingbird. Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos - adorable.
    Titanium Texan;1263 said:
    What is this 'book' you speak of?

Haha. "If you have to ask, big guy, you can't afford it."-Beerfest.

I guess the best way to explain it is it's like an analog iPad, but much more affordable and durable.
  • Kenny Kane;1288 said:
    Everyone needs to read Kurt Vonnegut's entire collection. That is all.

Yes, definitely agree.
  • the entire series by Vince Flynn is my favorite stuff to read. If you're into spy/assassin/thrillers and you haven't read his stuff before, you must check it out.......or else.......
  • Going with some that were already mentioned: Dark Materials (so bummed about how they cut the 1st movie and then couldn't make the rest); Harry Potter; Sookie Stackhouse, Dexter series; My Sister's Keeper, Time Traveler's Wife; Footprints of God; TWILIGHT!!! (yeah..I know) Tried to get through the Lord Of the Rings books, but just couldn't do it. When I Was Puerto Rican; Invisible Man; Trying to get through the entire Anne of Green Gables series now too. I really want to start the Hunger Games Trilogy (have to download it to my Nook but I am super lazy Mon-Fri due to work.)

I am also into Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar and The Grouchy Ladybug) and The Sesame Street Library Books (I have a 2 1/2 year old) Not a lot of down time to read - summers are my catch up times.
  • KabirKabir Community Member
    I love to read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer (not at all masculine, I know), The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien and the Dairy of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney again and again. I read the Intelligent Computing CHIP magazine and the Lonely Planet Travel magazine monthly. I tried to read the Harry Potter series, but ditched them after reading the first 2 books: The Philosopher's Stone and The Chamber of Secrets.

Though, my style of reading is different: a cup of coffee on the table, my mobile phone with my favorite songs hooked up to noise isolation headphones and the volume at full. I call it my concentration mode! As weird it may sound, I sometimes take a break if the novel has gone too emotional and start dancing with the novel in my hand!
  • I love all kinds of different books, I'll admit to loving Twlight, I love real life stories especially about women who have overcome tough times and made it through. One of my favs used to be P.S. I love You, how romantic a man dying from brain cancer leaves his wife notes for her to find after he passes. So now that my husband has that very same thing ironic...I don't like it so much. Not so romatic a little too close to home. I have gotten into Stephanie Plum novels too. I haven't been able to concentrate enough to focus on reading I miss it. I just tried yesterday and I couldn't do it. I guess I might need to find a new genre.
  • Who said reading isn't cool? Its great for your mind! :-)

Lately I find myself reading very "chick-lit"y type of stuff, just because they are generally light reads and don't take a ton of brain power to get through. I liked the Shopohlic series, Virgin Suicides, Home is Where the Heart Is, Girl Interupted, Twilight (only read the first one), Prozac Nation, The Bell Jar.

I used to enjoy reading any true crime novels (love Anne Rule) and memoirs. I think (no matter the controversy) A Million Little Pieces is one of my favourite books.
  • I am an avid reader and love alot of your suggestions! I am going to be busy uploading to my Kobo!! I am currently into the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy. I know it is totally cliche having cancer and all but I am also reading It's Not About the Bike, by Lance Armstrong. I love alot of different books and genres some of my tops are: Outlander series (all 7 of them) by Diana Gabaldon, lord of the Rings, Pillars of the Earth, twilight (guilty:)), Anna Karenina, sookie stackhouse, shopaholic series, and many of the bestsellers. I am really excited to start reading the Dexter books!! In the fall we started watching season one, and caught up to season 5 very quickly!
  • I am Twilight guilty too! LOL!
    It might be the type of fiction I choose to read, but I find non-fiction easier to digest. I read Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy when I was running a fever from a PICC line and on lots of meds. It fucked with my head so much I had to put it down for a while. Not my proudest moment in reading.
  • 1goodbean1goodbean Community Member
    Hands down. Best books of all time. Call it cliche if you will. But heck, one of my nicknames is Malfoy. That's right. HARRY frickin' POTTER! The first few might be hard to chew, but once you've read them all and see how deep it really is and the emotional turmoil all these characters go through! It's amazing! The entire series is about death. A lot of people don't seem to realize that.. The first three books are easier after you've read them all. Definitely warms the cockles of my heart.

I read the first book in Hunger Games, trying to find the monies to purchase the next two. I WILL have them read before that movie comes out. Definite advocate in reading before watching.

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel is a REALLY cool series. In fact, the next book in the series just came out this week. Trying to find money for that too. Check them out, the author is Michael Scott (I know, right?!) how can you go wrong?

The Inheritance Cycle is a really good series also. If you like LotR, you should check this out. Author: Christopher Paolini Often the books are referenced as "Eragon." Don't judge the books by the movie that came out several years ago. That was crap. And just like His Dark Materials, they ruined it so they can't continue on. They'll have to do an entire restart.

There are classics I like, such as, The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis, The Giver - Lois Lowry, Enders Game - Orson Scott Card

Basically, I like fiction. Fantasy fiction. The MYST reader is an interesting one. Based off of the old video game. I've read, and own, Twilight, but it's not my fave. Anything Orson Scott Card is good--I've actually met him and have several books signed. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull, that's a good series. But I will read the occasional "Self-Help" type book, like He's Just Not Into You, or The Five Love Languages for Singles by Gary Chapman. It's a pretty good read. Plus, I'm going into Marriage and Family Therapy, so I just naturally enjoy those things. :)

Maybe someday you guys will read one of my novels. I have several I'm writing right now. I WILL be a published author, I WILL, I WILL. *phew* Confidence Reassured.
  • ambreenambreen Community Member
    I love Harry Potter too! Other than that, I am a huge nerd and love Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. I also really enjoyed Blindness by Jose Saramago, extremely creative. Other books I like are Anthem by Ayn Rand, 1984, and Brave New World. Aaaaaaand my first ever favorite book was... The Little Red Hen! It was the first book I ever read. Gotta love that hen :)
    1goodbean;3490 said:

Maybe someday you guys will read one of my novels. I have several I'm writing right now. I WILL be a published author, I WILL, I WILL. *phew* Confidence Reassured.
    I will definitely keep an eye out or your books :D
  • Spent the whole summer reading books about special forces. SAS, Delta Force, etc. Got through 5 books I think.
  • I mostly enjoy dysutopian fiction so things like 1984, Brave New World, and the Giver series. Also Harry Potter haha. Right now I'm reading the Anne of Green Gables series (I think I'm on the third book), and trying to read more classics... I've already read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes :)
  • babez1babez1 Community Member
    I like the crime mystery type. Been doing a lot of reading lately. Right after my diagnosis I kept it light and read a lot of chick lit light fluffy books. Now I am working on some series. Just finishing up Kathy Reiches, going to move on to Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton, and Janet Evonovich. Lot sof books to keep me busy during treatment!
  • I loved the hunger games series. Also the Fever Series by Karen Marie moning. Just read Firefly Lane (FYI not a good book to read if going through cancer!) Also love the Dragon Tatoo series by Stieg larson.
  • any Robert Ludlum books. especially The Chancellor Manuscript,if you remember J.Edcar Hoover.
    issac asimov books.
  • Carey, reading is diffently cool.
    some books I like.
    Robert Ludlum books. "the Chancellat Manuscript
    if you remember J. Fdgar Hoover.
    sci fi
    mysterys
  • Bit late here, but I couldn't resist pulling this thread back up top ;)

I like most fiction, especially historical, sci-fi/fantasy, and the good classics (ie, not the boring ones only lit professors read). A few favorites in no particular order:
    Thursday Next series - love the quirky style and literary references. It's one of the few mystery series I'll read.
    Pride and Prejudice
    The Virginian
    LoTR/Narnia/anything by Brandon Sanderson
    The Hunt for Red October

Leave a Comment