Diatribe: BC is a dynamic disease, chose your treatment(s) wisely

I say to the scientists: Hurry up already and expedite TARGETED therapies rather than sending warp's through the Matrix of Me. I have experienced cognitive malfunction, memory loss, depression, etc. so severely that I have since wondered if I would have known, would I have chosen chemo? I DO have ADHD and am dyslexic & have spend years and lots of $ treating it. My oncologist did warn me that all those things would be amplified but I'm seeing a much slower recovery than I had expected. In addition, my cancer is hormone sensitive so I have to take estrogen blockers. Who knew that overnight menopause would have such a dynamic effect on me? This subject was not discussed when looking at my treatment options. Girls my age don't know about menopause and it's complications because we think we will learn about it when we need to....years down the road. However, I'm learning that estrogen has a HUGE impact on the skeletal system and the list of treatment related side effects has only grown since I started this. I know there is a lot to cover and we don't hear everything the doc's say due to shock, etc. but I feel that 'informed consent' should be restructured and tailor made for individual cancers with a whole new component of compassion which addresses age-specific possible outcomes and I think this task should be assigned to a big outfit, like NCI, and be standardized. They are so focused on treating the cancer and increased survival rates but aren't really considering the effects of post-treatment complications and the importance of an individualized quality of life. ALTHOUGH, I'M THE 1ST ONE TO TELL YOU THAT MY FAVORITE SIDE EFFECT OF TREATMENT IS L-I-F-E!

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • "but I feel that 'informed consent' should be restructured and tailor made for individual cancers with a whole new component of compassion which addresses age-specific possible outcomes "

Soooo TRUE> you know i've writen about not being told about infertility and like you i suspect i may soon be experiencing premature menopause due to the chemo...and guess what? I was told the docs are busy treating my CANCER...in other words they are not treating ME. Yeah, thats right - the PERSON with the Big C. Like, the one who has to LIVE with all the shite that comes with and after treatment.
    How much quality of life am i going to have with brittle bones, no kids and the fut bucking ugly chemo and rads look? Yeah, sign me up ... >:^(

Leave a Comment