crazy sexy shut the fuck up

I know some of you like the book, and that's fine, but can I get a witness who hated that book? beautiful perfect LA hipster artist chick gets cancer but manages to stay beautifully thin and coiffed throughout her ordeal. congratulations, lady.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • CareyCarey Community Member
    I didn't read the book, but you're the first person I've run into whose come out and said screw off. Love it.
  • melissamelissa Community Member
    omg...yes!!!i saw the movie, didnt read the book. by the end of it i felt so much worse! must be nice to be able to go on soul searching adventures with no real consequense to your actual life (money, etc,) also her ability to stay all pretty pissed me off too. I gained 70lbs in 3 months because of the friggin steroids i was on after surgery (brain) and have horrendous stretch marks that will never go away and weight i just cant lose and probably never will.
    yeah, that movie did nothing to help me "cope"
  • MelindaMelinda Community Member
    Kris Carr spoke at the OMG Summit a couple of months ago and some of us got into a conversation about this. Basically, some of what she said makes sense and could help a lot of people. Everyone could benefit from limiting or cutting meat out of their diet. Most of us could use a little more exercise. On the other hand most people don't have the time or resources available to do everything she suggests. I know I don't have the money to afford her juicing habit. And having a cup of coffee in the morning isn't going to kill me. In most cases having that cup of coffee is probably what keeps me from killing other people.

side note: when I was in the hospital they had really crappy coffee. Thank goodness there was a Starbucks across the street!!
  • That's what I wondered after I visited the website. How the fuck does she afford to do all of that? I can barely afford the treatments and the fact that I had to quit work - plus I have two kids I still have to care of. But, I think she has tried to do a good service to people, and I do feel like she genuinely cares.
  • I saw the movie and read the book, but she starting to be a little too much. Feel like she's trying to stuff her juicing and raw diet "down our throats"! She may have cancer, but she got extremely lucky that it's not doing anything but sitting in her body. I wonder what her feeling would be if she have to do all the treatments the rest of us have too.
  • UGH i hated that book too!!! It really didn't tell me anything about how to be "crazy sexy".
  • Hated it too

I read some of it in the library and thought it was the biggest piece of shit I've ever read.
  • I'd really like to see a film or read a book about the typical cancer sufferer. The average person who's too damn broke to afford decent treatment, has to go into horrendous debt and claim chapter 11 just to get a few consults and chemo treatments. And no, he/she isn't gonna be able to get in to work the next day, what with being white as a sheet and dehydrated as all hell from firing out of both ends simultaneously. And no, he/she isn't gonna be made stronger from the treatment and come through with flying colors. He/she's gonna be a broken wreck of a human being who sleeps 16+ hours a day for years afterward with permanent genetic damage, serious neuropathy, and the nagging thought in the back of his/her head that maybe death as opposed to a life of suffering wasn't the way to go.

That, friends, is the genuine portrayal of the BIG C. I would actually READ a book like that.
  • Thank you! I only finished reading it so that I could justify writing a scathing review on Amazon.

As I read it, I kept mentally referring to it as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Cancer Pants, and I mean that to sound as pejorative as possible. It felt like she was writing to an audience of teenagers who have seen the Sex and the City episodes where Samantha has cancer.