synovial sarcoma and Chemo

My son, 33, had a neck tumor removed in jan. Radiation till last week and next they want him to do a round of Chemo. He is scared that the chemo will make him weaker then he already is and he is scared he is going to die from the cancer. I try to give him a positive attitude but I don't think it is working. To boot, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, so now I'm trying to keep both of us standing.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sadly ironic, but my step father was diagnosed with prostate cancer two weeks after my diagnosis. I understand the fear associated with chemo. I think its scary for everyone. I'm definitely praying for both of you. There are a lot of sarcoma survivors and people in treatment here. Encourage him to join. It has really been a blessing for me to get to talk to others who are going through similar things. Stay strong!
  • Hello & welcome to the forums!

Chemo may not be his only option. Have him research alternative therapy either instead of or in addition to the chemo/conventional therapy. My 13 year old did chemo/radiation for nine months and has been on alt therapy for the last six and a half months. She had a good initial response to the conventional therapy but hit a wall last Sept and was "declared" stable & most likely multi-drug resistant. We weren't willing to find out for sure. Honestly she has had a better response using alt therapy. The metastasis are gone. The primary tumor IS inoperable but almost cancer free. And all this has been accomplished without adverse reaction. The radiation has caused infertility/menopause and so much scar tissue she will need surgery in her late teens to remove it (we'll cross that bridge when we get there). Anyway, there's IV vitamin C, Iscador injections, herbal mixes, strict diet changes (cut out processed sugars, buy organic).
    Try to find a Naturopath doctor in your area. Mine is in Portland, but I found him through a local hollistic clinic in Berkeley.
  • hisdad;3027 said:
    My son, 33, had a neck tumor removed in jan. Radiation till last week and next they want him to do a round of Chemo. He is scared that the chemo will make him weaker then he already is and he is scared he is going to die from the cancer. I try to give him a positive attitude but I don't think it is working. To boot, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, so now I'm trying to keep both of us standing.

hisdad, Please tell him I am 28 and I also had synovial sarcoma. I'm not going to lie and say chemo doesn't suck because it does. However I made it through it just fine. I never vomited once during chemo, I was able to still be around family without always fearing getting sick. It sucks I lost my hair but it is growing back fast now that I am done, and its growing back straight something I always wanted lol. Tell him to be strong and if he needs to talk to someone about each step who has done it, message me for my phone number I would be more than happy to talk with him.

Leave a Comment