Fears

So in the next couple of weeks I have a endometrial biopsy and a colonoscopy scheduled. I've had both before and both are scary. For a colonoscopy its required that you have someone with you, so its not so bad. At least someone is required to be there. With an endometrial biopsy they don't require anyone and so I will be alone in the room. And it will hurt. And it pretty much just sucks being alone in a room with two people holding you down and horrible things.
And then what if the outcome isn't good?
What if my biopsies aren't treatable this time?
They lied to my dad, why wouldn't they lie to me?
I have so many questions and my fears are well.... they're just bad! I just can't be optomistic. I guess I'm just scared this time.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • DMMDMM Community Member
    Melissa Tweed;3115 said:
    So in the next couple of weeks I have a endometrial biopsy and a colonoscopy scheduled. I've had both before and both are scary. For a colonoscopy its required that you have someone with you, so its not so bad. At least someone is required to be there. With an endometrial biopsy they don't require anyone and so I will be alone in the room. And it will hurt. And it pretty much just sucks being alone in a room with two people holding you down and horrible things.
    And then what if the outcome isn't good?
    What if my biopsies aren't treatable this time?
    They lied to my dad, why wouldn't they lie to me?
    I have so many questions and my fears are well.... they're just bad! I just can't be optomistic. I guess I'm just scared this time.

I can totally relate as I have had 4 colonscopies, 2 upper endo, and the absolutely wonderful endometrial biopsy. Why they don't knock a woman out for the endometrial biopsy is beyond me!

I have to ask, if you have had endometrial biopsies before why aren't they doing a D&C (you are sedated for that procedure) instead? The endometrial biopsy only grabs a little piece of the endometrium and may miss any possible sections or polyps that may have abnormal cells. With the D&C they scrap out the entire endometrial lining. If the doctor is looking for potential problems I would think they would opt for the D&C since it is more thorough. If you are having any heavy or abnormal bleeding, I am sure that is enough justification for the insurance company to cover you having a D&C. I had one endometrial biopsy but I had persistent symptoms despite a benign biopsy result, then in about a year the GYN finally did the D&C, that is when they found my endometrial cancer which was contained on a polyp (I was stage 1A) and there was some evidence of hyperplasia which was not found on the biopsy. When I was diagnosed in 1999, I was given the option of having a hysterectomy or go through experimental hormonal therapy. I had watched my father die of colon cancer only 7 years before that so I told the doctor to just take the whole thing out, that and I didn't want to deal with any more hormones. I would think by 2011 the treatments are better then was was available to me in 1999. The good news is endometrial cancer is generally very slow growing...I had abnormal periods from age 12 until age 25 when I diagnosed with the endometrial cancer and at that I was only stage 1a. I'm not trying to scare you, but as someone who has gone through the whole endometrial cancer thing...my advice - I think you should ask your doctor to explain to you why he/she thinks you should just go through another painful biopsy instead of a having a D&C.

Also has your doctor ordered pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds for you?

Are you going to a regular GYN or a GYN-Oncologist? Since you were diagnosed with Lynch Syndrome I would think that a GYN-Oncologist would be willing to monitor and treat you, if necessary. My regular GYN had done the biopsy and D&C, after the diagnosis came back I then went to see the GYN-Oncologist. I am clear of any GYN cancers now, but I have chosen to see the GYN-Oncologist instead of the regular GYN as the GYN-Onc has a better grasp on my personal & family history of cancer.

It is totally normal to be scared and if you have questions you should definitely ask the doctor. If the doctor doesn't answer your questions or you are not comfortable with some of the things she/he says....then you should seek out a second or even a third opinion if need be. Even if you are comfortable with what the doctor says, it is still okay/normal and your right to get a second opinion.

Hang in there girl! We are all here for you!
  • CareyCarey Community Member
    We're all scared. I think it's especially bad the first few years after treatment. I read about relapse rates and secondary cancers and the like and it makes it really hard not to be afraid. And it doesn't help when you can't get a straight answer. That just makes things worse. Sometimes I feel like Damocles.
  • DMMDMM Community Member
    Carey;3122 said:
    We're all scared. I think it's especially bad the first few years after treatment. I read about relapse rates and secondary cancers and the like and it makes it really hard not to be afraid. And it doesn't help when you can't get a straight answer. That just makes things worse. Sometimes I feel like Damocles.

I can understand feeling like Damocles. For me, sometimes I sorta feel like Job from the bible.....between the cancer hitting me twice, cancer taking my dad & some others I cared about, other health problems and all the other crap I had to deal with in my life...I feel like there are these two powerful entities who decided to continuously torture me and take bets on the outcome. Screw them all! I may not win, but I sure as hell ain't going down without a damn good fight. I'm ready to get all scrappy! :p

Hey Carey...when are we are going to break some stuff? LOL
  • I have a GYN-Oncologist so they do all the ultrasounds and the whole works on me, but they never discussed a D&C. Never even heard about it til now. I'll take anything that envolves anesthesia over an endometrial biopsy any day. Except the hormone therapy, that stuff is rough and cost me my job along with some other things. And the fact that its a better screening tool is a "perk" if there are any in all this. They want to try to wait til I'm older to do a hyst though. I asked about any kind of pain killers and they just said take Advil. I guess in the age where Drs. over prescribe pain meds some under prescribe in my opinion. When I went through the hormone therapy I did get a second opinion at another Gynocologist who said I was probably just depressed and prescribed me Xanax so I wouldn't go on a murdering spree.
    I guess besides the pain the scariest thing is the biospy results. And the fact that Drs don't tell you info unless you ask them for it, which is kinda hard when you don't even know what questions to ask. I'm the same age as my dad was when he died of colon cancer and they never even told him or my mom anything. All they knew was he was being treated for colon cancer.
    Thanks for all the support and info guys, but I think I need to just go take a walk for a bit right now.