"Laid Off" from my job

I can't believe it. On Friday I was told there is "no position for me to return to". I got hit by a car and have been out on an unpaid medical leave for about 6 or 7 weeks while my injuries heal. I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer as a result of the exploratory testing to check my organ function after the accident. They are aware of the Breast Cancer diagnosis and this is what they do to me?!?!? I have two children to support! I am also forced to move from my apartment on 6/30 because my landlord raised my rent after I told her I had Breast Cancer. This is what I get for being honest with people.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • SavageSavage Community Member
    That is horrible. Very sorry to hear that.
  • Sometimes it's really hard to believe that people could be that way, I'm really sorry you have to have these added burdens- cancer is enough without having to worry about other things!
  • companies are getting away with this kind of shit these days. my dad was in a motorcycle crash and lost part of his leg. he was out on disability for awhile, and 2 weeks after he came back, they canned him because "he doesn't get along well with others" and the reality of that situation is that there was one annoying guy who kept complaining to management about every little disagreement he'd have with my dad.

so the reality is that they fired him because of his disability/absence, but they played the CYA game and found another reason for it. this was a couple of years ago when things were at about their worst with the economy.
  • Matt001;3319 said:
    I can't wrap my head around how something like this could possible be legal. Very few people seem to have any ethical standards these days.

-Regards

It shouldn't be and it probably isn't. Most of the time they get away with it for two reasons: 1. Most people don't know what's permitted or not well enough to fight the issue. 2. Hiring lawyers usually costs money and that frightens people. But...hiring a lawyer doesn't always cost money - some will only charge if you win a settlement. So it might at least be worth it to talk to one who specializes in the types of issues you're having.
  • CareyCarey Community Member
    Have you contacted the Cancer Legal Rsource Center? They're a group of lawyers who provide free advice to cancer patients, doctors and the like on legal issues related to cancer. I haven't had to use them yet, fortunately, but it's worth checking out. They might be able to provide some much needed help and advice. http://www.disabilityrightslegalcenter.org/about/cancerlegalresource.cfm
  • wow, there are no words for how terrible this is. it's disgusting to think that people would take advantage of a cancer patient. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I would strongly suggest looking into legal action as Carey has elluded to. there's no way this can be legal on either situations.
  • nicolegnicoleg Community Member
    WOW I am sooo sorry!!! Its sickens me to think people are so cold and heartless!!! I am being sued right now for stupid medical bill for $805 well now its more and cause of interest and there fees to serve me and what not... So I magically have to come up with $1080 ASAP! I have other bills that are way more and they are not sending my to collections! So I can kinda relate to your headache! I pray that you get the help and strength you need! And I hope those people understand that KARMA is a Bit$%!

Stay Strong!!!!
  • HUGS to you!!! I feel for ya! Sounds like you've been through hell and back...have you called to see what kind of assistance you can recieve at the least like food, electric, insurance, etc. When my husband Ben was dx with brain cancer...he had a seizure and poof he could no longer work...cut to 9 months later I am not sure how we did it...we didn't have any income for a month at the beginning. It was scary. I got major bills deferred. I got as much help as I could. Swallowing that pride is hard but you have to do what you have to do sometimes. Good luck I hope u find some help!