Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Ask a Question

Cancer in Texas in the summer SUX!!!!

I just have to vent because it is way too hot to be covering my head with anything. But I prefer to go out with hair not because I don't like my bald head (which thank god has no deformities...lol) but because being bald means being sick. I don't want people to pity me. It is a constant 100 degrees without rain here. Having this cancer now sux!!!

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I live in NC and feel your pain Mia. I shaved my head for a while due to losing the back half of my hair. Being a guy obviously helps in that it wouldn't stand out as much, but it is what it is. Good thing is it's starting to grow back and maybe it won't be two different colors like the Dr's warned me of.

Best of luck to ya and feel free to vent anytime :)
  • melissamelissa Community Member
    i feel ya too!! while its not terrribly hot here in Colorado, its too warm for a wig, or hat. So I just wear nothing. It is so embarassing because my hair is starting to come back. It is like fuzz on part of my head and straight on another part, still bald from the direct radiation on about a third of my head and on the top, the "mohawk" of hair that never fell out. Its horrible. I almost loook like a dog with mange. :(

I want to shave it all off, at least until the bald part starts coming back, but my husband told me that it would be too ugly and that i should just deal with it or wear one of the many wigs i have. ouch.

when i started losing my hair i thought i was secure enought that i would be ok with it. I didn't realize how much i tied my feminiity (sp?) to having long hair!! I lost all sense of beauty and sort of felt like a slightly female version of uncle Fester from the addams family!

I tried not wearing my wigs because i did not like the feeling of hiding behind them, like having cancer was something to be ashamed of. i wanted to be a proud survivor, like the ones you see on the commercials and inspirational websites and stuff. But then i realized that it was like having a big neon "I"M SICK!!!!" sign on the top of my head and people automatically treated me different.

I have not figured it out yet. I still hate looking sick, but i cant seem to be comfortable hiding it either.

i just had an idea, there are lots of cute straw sunhats in stores this summer and those little head cooler things(like frozen bandanas, i think), maybe they would work there in TX?
  • Melissa, bump what your husband said. If you want to shave your head, go right ahead. Do what makes you feel comfortable.

There's no way a shaved head could make either of you two any less beautiful. Smile and be proud you are both kicking cancers ass.
  • summooresummoore Community Member
    It is WAY too hot here in TX!! I like the straw hat idea Melissa. There's definitely a fine line between physical comfort and emotional comfort. We're all doing the best we can. I've been wearing an ACE bandage around my leg to hide the deformity and protect the scar from the sun. It's too hot for jeans, but I know I look awkward with it.
  • I live in Washington state and I was miserable the summer I was being treated. I know we're not known for our hot weather out here, but that summer was especially warm for our standards. I just remember being in bed with the portable AC blowing right on my face all day. All that along with the constant vomiting and radiation burns we're horrible. All that to say, sorry you have to deal with this. If it sucked in Seattle, there's no doubt it's 10 times worse in Texas.
  • melissamelissa Community Member
    thank you Jason!!

I'm considering a straw hat myself, i saw some really cute ones the other day that were weaved really loosley on top for good ventilation...If i get one i will post a pic somewhere. :)
  • I live in California and can definitely relate. It's been so hot recently that I finally gave up on wearing bandanna's and have been going out with nothing covering my head. I just recently started to get my hair back and it is still pretty patchy.

Mia - I was always worried about people feeling bad for me too or my bald head somehow making others sad because it's a not so nice reminder of their own mortality but I after a few outings I got much more comfortable and haven't had any pitying looks that I've noticed.
    Either way I think comfort, emotional and physical, are the most important thing. I think that life is too short to get caught up in what others think of you.

And Jason, I totally feel you, I spent the what I think was the hottest most humid summer of my life in Seattle two years ago, I felt like a steamed lobster.
  • I see others are having the same problems. You would think someone would create a slim head band cool wrap. The ones with gel that you put in the freezer and then can put under a hat. Trying to go out for a bachelorette was good at first until I finally had to wash my head in the restroom...not too fun. I wonder if anyone else gets as many comments on their wigs as I do. I was at a petsmart today and had someone ask to take a side picture of my haircut. Its not the first time and I just don't want them to think that the cut is impossible without a wig. Its close to the cut I did right before the chemo. I cut off a few inches and donated it because I knew I would loose it any ways.
  • KatlynnKatlynn Community Member
    I know what you mean! It was like 108 here yesterday. I think I'm so used to wearing my wigs, that I don't even notice that it's making me super hot. I wish I was comfortable enough going without it. My hair is starting to grow back. It's probably about 2 inches but it's super curly. I've had long hair my whole life, so I just don't really feel like myself without it! My friends/family all tell me it's really cute, but I feel like they're just saying that. Pretty sure if I had gotten this type of haircut in real life I would not be getting the same reaction haha. My hair on other parts of my body isn't really growing though. My eyebrows are fully back, but my eyelashes are still so short and my leg hair isn't really growing (not that I'm complaining). Does anyone know how long it takes for your body to illy get back to normal?
  • Oh yeah, every one of my intensive treatments was in the summer here in Houston, it was miserable. It was way too hot to wear a hat, plus all the weight I gained from steroids made it worse. Yes, it was easier being a guy with no hair, but the sun could be killer if I wanted to get out of the house. I looked into welding caps that hold water and evaporate slowly to keep my head safe and cool. I'm sure there are custom ones out there that don't have flames or skulls on them, lol, if you want to look into those.
  • bpojb03bpojb03 Community Member
    just started this cancer journey and one of the first questions people ask me is if i will lose my hair. i say no, but i dont really know for sure. i have a really messed up head... lots of bumps and scars from sun burns and reckless fun.

i wear hats so much some people think i have already lost my hair.

i have a huge bright green hat for outside :D and a little black hat for inside. but im blindingly fair skinned and i live in southern california so it is pretty normal to always smell of sunblock, have a hat on, or carry an umbrella.

i think if you look at the pharmacy there are cool packs you can put under a hat either in first aid section or seasonal (summer). i have one that velcroz to the inside of my black hat. it is a little green/blue gel thing that i take out of the fridge (not freezer!) might have gotten it from the airport pharmacy to be honest. my memory is shot. hope that helps

oh if not... it is fair season! do you have a state or county fair coming up? i think i remember seeing some cooling inserts at the state fair last year in minnesota.

im really not a heat person... i hate the sun and summer. so ive looked into cooling gadgets as a way to pass the time im stuck inside when the sun is out.
  • I was just starting my treatments as it got hot in April of 08...in Houston. When I got released from the hospital for the first time, I had to get outside and there was a day with halfway reasonable temperatures, so I ate my lunch outside. Half an hour...tops...and I got too much sun. It wasn't quite a burn because it didn't hurt or peel or anything, but my skin discolored. And it wasn't my normal "tan" coloration I'd get. I think that in addition to the chemo making me more sensitive to the sun, it also changed my skin pigmentation for some time. I dunno. But the doctors didn't even believe me when I told them that the color was from too much sun. They were convinced it was something else for awhile.

The only "good" thing about getting my treatments in the hot months down here was that I had to be inside 99.9% of the time, anyway, to protect myself from infection risks. The only times I went outside were when I had a checkup and the 1 day a month when my immune system was robust enough that I could go into public.

But this summer is just unreal here. I spent my weekend at Schlitterbahn. It felt nice being in/around the water all the time, but we stopped for ice cream in Bryan on the way home and it really felt like we were cooking when we stepped out of the car. I NEED to move away from Texas!
    I don't want to move...I would just prefer a vacation home I could run away to when we have summers like this :). Its BRUTAL! Maybe in Canada???
  • ZharZhar Community Member
    Destination: Toronto

You are welcome to visit/stay at my place in Toronto :) The landlord likes to keep the AC at 65 F brrrrr!
  • Zhar;4083 said:
    You are welcome to visit/stay at my place in Toronto :) The landlord likes to keep the AC at 65 F brrrrr!

I'm working on my paperwork requirements to demonstrate my Canadian citizenship and get my citizenship card. All I've got left is the photo requirement (it's HARD to get that citizenship photo in Texas). I am tentatively planning a long canoe camping trip in Ontario for next summer.
  • bpojb03bpojb03 Community Member
    I dont know what it is but ive been cold for about two years now. I use to be too hot all the time, wearing as minimal clothing as i could get away with, even in the snow. But now i am always freezing, even when its 90 degrees, i have to wear layers and bring extra gloves and jackets.

Anyway, I was right! Went to the fair the other day and they had cooling things. Not sure how to explain it. It was a little towel that maintained a temp 20% degrees lower than its surroundings. Super absorbant and doesnt drip. Let me know if you guys want me to get their info card next time i go.
  • It's been hot in New York, I can't even imagine what it must be like in Texas... Can you actually fry eggs on the pavement. My cousin who is from texas told me this once, it might be a stupid question. But this is what I have heard.
  • Grace McDermott;4207 said:
    It's been hot in New York, I can't even imagine what it must be like in Texas... Can you actually fry eggs on the pavement. My cousin who is from texas told me this once, it might be a stupid question. But this is what I have heard.

not quite...but hot asphalt can give you some ugly burns on your feet. I walk barefoot on my concrete driveway all the time and it doesn't get too hot.
  • mtbikernate;4227 said:
    not quite...but hot asphalt can give you some ugly burns on your feet. I walk barefoot on my concrete driveway all the time and it doesn't get too hot.

Yeah, I actually tried it on asphalt when it was 100+ here. It'll eventually cook, but not like you'll want to eat it, lol. It just ends up being a gross mess.
  • babez1babez1 Community Member
    I think I may be happy I live on the coast of BC when I start treatment. Our summers are never that hot, average of 25c, and this summer has been cool and rainy! I have been complaining of the weather, but may appreciate it depending on when my treatment starts!
  • Agreed. I live 2 minutes from the guadalupe, haven't been all summer. I'll just stick to my wonderful A/C haha.
  • It hasn't been too bad here in Idaho... it gets up to around 85-90 usually. I just feel so bad for all those people on the east coast that are in the middle of a heat wave, haha. I usually wear a knit cap when I go out and about, I just bought a couple lightweight ones from Amazon. I tried to wear scarves around my head but it looked so awkward on me. I also have a few straw hats that I wear when I'm in the sun.
  • Steffanee Caiola;4263 said:
    It hasn't been too bad here in Idaho... it gets up to around 85-90 usually. I just feel so bad for all those people on the east coast that are in the middle of a heat wave, haha. I usually wear a knit cap when I go out and about, I just bought a couple lightweight ones from Amazon. I tried to wear scarves around my head but it looked so awkward on me. I also have a few straw hats that I wear when I'm in the sun.

those people on the east coast going through the heat wave get no sympathy from me. It's been getting over 100F at my house since APRIL. And it won't drop below 100 on a regular basis again until sometime in September. I was hoping to do the Neches Wilderness Canoe Race for the first time since my diagnosis this year...but I have my doubts that the race will happen in the middle of August this year. There might not be enough water in the river to float a canoe.
    But they don't have AC's. I love air conditioning!!!
  • summoore;4290 said:
    But they don't have AC's. I love air conditioning!!!

you'd be surprised how many houses in East TX don't have AC, either
  • My a/c went out for a week last month. I went a bit crazy after a few Texas style 100+ degree days...shaved off every hair on my body.
    It didn't help much.
  • failed_ethics;4250 said:
    Agreed. I live 2 minutes from the guadalupe, haven't been all summer. I'll just stick to my wonderful A/C haha.
    I work in SM still after graduating college and I miss the river. I was too bloated, tired, or self conscious to go. Lucky for me my house survived the fire in Bastrop since I'm staying with my mom during treatment. Our neighbors were not all so lucky : (
  • I know what you are talking about, but u can't wear them very well at work.

Be happy you are cold. I use to be that way and hated it bc everyone was opposite and would freeze me out. Now I am constantly hot and my feet sweat, which is not cool.