Rotten day

I haven't had a day this soundly bad in a long time. Thankfully none of it happens to have anything to do with cancer - well not directly at least.

Starting with thesis work. Without going into all the gory boring details, I have been working on a particular part since January and keep finsing problems. I found another today and it may mean another redo. Ugh, I am almost ready to toss in the towel. Halfway throught the summer and not much progress.

I started playing in a recreational soccer league this year. I wanted to play last year but was not ready. I built myself up to 5k run distance in the fall so I was ready this time. It was tough to get on a team but I managed just days before the first game. I didn't know anyone on the team of course and they had no idea about me.

4 games into the season and I am fed up with one guy in particular who has decided we need a coach to instruct us. He seems to have a particular issue with me. My ball skills are not as good as they once were, which is understandable given my circumstances, but my fitness isn't bad and my tactical understanding of the game has not changed. The guy has been challenging my tactics all season, but especially today telling me to do things you would tell 10 year olds about positions. I am sorry, but I am 30 and have been involved in soccer as a player, licensed referee, or a coach (sometimes more than one at a time) since I was 5. When my team is attacking, my job is to exploit open space to be open for a pass. As a defender, I hold back in support and rarely move into a direct attacking position, but I am still needed to distribute the ball, act as a release when the attackers are pressured, and be there to challenge loose balls. Any player is useless if they are actually marking their opponent when their team has posession of the ball. They are making the other team's job too easy, and that is precisely what that other guy was doing.

I told him once that I will find open space when our team has the ball and I will defend when the other team has the ball but he continued to yell stupid commands at me. I started ignoring him after that. Let's not forget that I assisted on our first goal by doing exactly the opposite of what he said (and he continued with the bad advice). Let's not forget that I shut down the other team's forward when I was on the field. I had more touches on the ball than she did. And still he benched me for the second half...and she proceeded to score goals and help her team to win. Good job..."coach"

I am getting sick of the guy. I hear a rumor that he will soon be too busy to participate and I will give this team a chance. If things do not improve, I will do my best to change teams and if not I just won't play. If I really wanted to make a point I guess I could still suit up for a game and help the other teams win. Bit it wouldn't be long before I was benched anyway.

The league is also ridiculous. You cannot call for the ball or you will earn yourself a card. Not just for trying tO deceive the other team but even when trying to communicate with your own teammates when you have a better play on the ball. Players get fined if the earn a red card(even through accumulAting yellow cards) which does nothing but encourage them to quit in such a situation. I am beginning to think this is a very poorly run league.

To top my day off I got yelled at by my wife for spilling water...on a tile floor.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • KatlynnKatlynn Community Member
    I'm sorry you had such a bad day! The whole point of playing soccer is to have fun, so if you're not enjoying it maybe you should find another team. There's no point in toughing it out if you don't think it'll get any better. I have definitely had those days when it seems like everything that could possibly go wrong does. Just know that tommorrow is a new day!
  • It may not be possible to switch teams. Which is why I am not trying already. But yes the whole reason I am playing is to have fun and this guy is doing his best to suck the fun out of it.

There are also people on other teams taking things entirely too seriously. Most of them are comical. This is a small-sided adult recreational league. But when it's someone on your own team...ugh
  • Sorry you had a bad day! Good luck on your thesis- I just finished mine this spring and it was definitely a relief... but I'm still doing some research for my adviser using some finite element software called ADINA and it is so frustrating when the program crashes or I make a model only to find my adviser now wants something totally different- she's not familiar with the software at all so had no idea how much time it takes to make a change. Also when I came back from taking a semester off my entire research team had changed and all of a sudden the "senior" graduate student there was treating me like I knew nothing about pervious concrete and wow wasn't it nice I was interested even though I had been working with our adviser much longer than he had! It pissed me off. Your soccer story reminded me of that. Fortunately I live on my own so no one to yell at me for anything :) Hope maybe today is a bit better?
  • Mondays and Wednesdays are yoga days. Ahhhh, relaxing (well, sometimes...sometimes yoga consists of quite a workout). we'll see about today (Tuesdays and Thursdays are soccer days).
  • summooresummoore Community Member
    I'm sorry about your soccer team, but I've even more sorry that you spilled water on the floor! ;) Get it together!! LOL!
  • hey, it's not my fault that the refrigerator door sometimes presses against the water dispenser lever when closed, causing ALL of the water in the pur filter (all 1+ gallons of it) to drain onto the floor and fill the produce bins and door shelves
  • mtbikernate;4142 said:
    hey, it's not my fault that the refrigerator door sometimes presses against the water dispenser lever when closed, causing ALL of the water in the pur filter (all 1+ gallons of it) to drain onto the floor and fill the produce bins and door shelves

This has happened more than once? Nope not your fault, but sounds annoying!
  • summooresummoore Community Member
    mtbikernate;4142 said:
    hey, it's not my fault that the refrigerator door sometimes presses against the water dispenser lever when closed, causing ALL of the water in the pur filter (all 1+ gallons of it) to drain onto the floor and fill the produce bins and door shelves

That is WAY more than a little water on the floor. HAHAHA!
  • Mishanne;4143 said:
    This has happened more than once? Nope not your fault, but sounds annoying!

yes, it has. it didn't do this formerly. we cleaned the fridge out recently and then it began to do this. I thought we put all the drawers and shelves back in the same places, but apparently not.

to get the water to dispense into a glass, you have to pull it forward to get the tap past the shelf edge. the door used to hit it on a solid surface and push it back in. now the door hits the lever and empties the jug.

you know how it's hard to break or develop habits with chemobrain? yeah, old habits die hard for me. I'm so used to letting the door push the water container back on the shelf that I can't seem to remember to push it in before closing the door now. I think I'll have to check the shelf alignments...if I can remember

on another note, soccer went better today. the guy who gave me such a hard time on Tuesday didn't say anything about my strategy today. and I heard it confirmed several times that today was his last game. and because the weather was sketchy, fewer people showed up again and I got a lot of minutes. it also helped that we were playing a very classy team today. the team we played today has several older players (a couple into their 50's, I think) and they didn't get stupid.

speaking of the weather, every time I've played soccer before, the referees call the game at the FIRST hint of thunder or lightning. the lightning was very active just to the north of us and both of the adult games played a full regulation game.

our player who got red carded on Tuesday showed up for a little bit before the game, and it doesn't look promising that he'll pay the $100 fine he has to pay if he wants to play again. it's unfortunate that the guy who taunted him incessantly for at least 45min prior to his ejection got away without so much as a warning from the official. and it's not like the ejection was even for anything like fighting. just cursing at the other guy.
  • Glad soccer is better at least... oh, and remember to check the shelf alignments in your fridge ;)
  • thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten already