Wife and Mom of 2 kids- anyone else out there?

I'm completely new to this whole thing and, frankly, still floored, shocked, pissed, etc. I'm 32 and my 35-year old husband has esophageal cancer. We've been together 13 years and WILL BE celebrating our 10 year anniversary next year! I've always been the one with the colds and went through a thyroid issue in my early 20s, and always had a medical complaint and now my husband, my rock that never gets a sniffle- is sick. WTF- this is not fair!! I have 2 little ones- 3 years old and 9 months. Everyone in the GI Clinic is MUCH OLDER than us! Anyone else a mom and wife and just want support? I'm trying to keep my cool when I have my mom and wife hat on but in quiet moments I break down completely. I'm in Miami- where things are not so sunny here at the moment!! I'm also on FB (but I'm not posting things about the cancer on FB)- find me there too!! I just want friends to laugh and share things that work!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm also a wife and mother of two (4 and 1 1/2), but I'm the cancer patient. It sucks!!! The only thing I've found that helps a little is to find as much humor in it as possible. Even if it's dark or raunchy :) You have every right to break down...hell, throw things if that helps, but no matter what, you have to keep yourself together somehow. Humor is my way of doing it. I'm not really good at the "sweet, positive" stuff. I'm much better at sarcasm and finding something funny in very serious situations.

I hope it gets better for you and your family. Keep hanging in there and feel free to vent if you need to.
  • Im a wife, mother of 2 (6&9), and also a patient. Have to agree with summoore, it sucks, humor and a supportive family is whats keeping me sane right now!

Get used to being the youngest ones around... I have not found anyone even close to my age yet!

Good luck with everything, and let us know if you need some support!
  • I am also a mom to 2 kids (4 & 9) but also the spouse with cancer. Humor keeps you sane. Real honestly, my kids kept me sane, providing a constant distraction. Imerman Angels imermanangels.org can help try to fins someone in your exact situation who you can talk with.
    I am sorry you are here but I am glad you found us. Theresa
  • I am a wife and mother of 5 (ages 12- almost 2)but i am the "sick" one. My husband and i have found sarcasm and humor to be the most helpful tools. It is a really crappy situation for all of us, but i think its hardest on him. He has to be everything to everyone and it has taken a toll for sure. Without being able to poke fun at the situation we never would have made it this far.

If you ever want to talk or something, i am here.
  • Thank you everyone... you are all serious heroes in my eyes. I'm trying to find the humor in all this but it's all so new and scary that I can't focus. You are all in my thoughts too and I really appreciate all the feedback! I'll keep you all posted on my hubby.
  • I'm a dad, not a mom, but still...

Humor got me through this latest round. I share a lot of it in my blog (see link in signature line below) and I hope it's helpful to you or anyone else looking to laugh. FB link is on the blog page too.

Good luck to you and your husband and I look forward to wishing you a happy 10th anniversary!
  • I am a mother of 2 (3 1/2 and 4 months), I am the patient and i find it easier to make jokes about the situation because if not i would probably be crying all the time. The one thing i try to keep in mind is at least I'm still here. I also notice that I am the youngest at the cancer center where I go for treatment.

Good luck! We all can use someone to talk to so feel free to message me if u want to talk or vent
  • plipsigplipsig Community Member
    Also a wife and mother of two [grown] children. Also went through many health issues and surgeries [including thyroid tumor, uterine tumors] with my husband being amazingly strong and supportive. Now he has been diagnosed with NHL and I am trying to be strong for him. Why I joined this site an hour ago because I feel terrified and have no real support system.