Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Ask a Question

Why are you HERE? Did the stupid cancer forums impact your life?

I can answer this for myself, but do we have time? :) Part of this Young Adult collaborative experience is to share knowledge, experiences, funnies and terribles too. Please post a response if you can.

Why are you here? Are you looking for something? If so, have you found it yet? :D

How are you impacted by this forum? Do you come to read or to write? Or both? Lastly, why do you return to it?

For me, I want to help people and provide a sense of togetherness, share knowledge, and when I need to vent, I DO!

Thanks guys for being such an inspiration! I love each and every one of you!

Amanda aka Herbs

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm here because I so desperately needed to know that I'm not alone in this strange new world. LOL! I love that there are people on here that understand my need to connect and my need to console others and my need to throw things around and get angry.

Now I feel connected and I'm truly interested in how everyone else is doing in their day-to-day. I'm also glad I can be a tiny part of that security blanket I needed in the beginning for the others who are just starting their journey.

Thanks to everyone for the support, the laughs, and the random thoughts!

Love,
    Summer
  • Forums like this provide solidarity. It is a place you can go to and be able to relate to others and their situation regardless of race/religion/political views, etc. You can also get information in layman's terms rather than going to medical websites and trying to understand their terminology. As for what I plan to do here, I plan to do all the above: read, write, support, connect, seek/gain/provide answers. I will be back!
  • I like this forum because it allows me to connect to a group of people like me (survivors) that I would not otherwise be able to interact with. There are just not many young adult survivors where I live.
  • For me, I definitely needed a place to go where I wasn't the only one and that's what these forums are all about. I love getting to talk about things with people who actually understand and can relate to what you're going through. I can only hope to provide others on these forums with the kind of support so many of you here gave me. That's my favorite part of these forums, getting to talk with others whether its venting, asking for advice, or just random stuff! Its a great community full of people who honestly care about how everyone else is doing. Out of something as ugly as cancer came something as beautiful as this :)

Thanks for everything!
    Ambreen
  • I'm here because I need to connect with other young adults who have a positive outlook on surviving cancer. The cancer I have is most common in 60 yr old men and that's who I've met mostly and all of them have mets. I hate reading how their outlook is so poor on life. I figure I have cancer and there is nothing I can do to go back and change it so why not keep a good outlook on life and move forward and fight it. Like Lady Gaga said "God makes no mistakes".
  • Natilator;4884 said:
    I'm here because I need to connect with other young adults who have a positive outlook on surviving cancer. The cancer I have is most common in 60 yr old men and that's who I've met mostly and all of them have mets. I hate reading how their outlook is so poor on life. I figure I have cancer and there is nothing I can do to go back and change it so why not keep a good outlook on life and move forward and fight it. Like Lady Gaga said "God makes no mistakes".
    ARG! I just wrote a nice long response then it vanished! I was saying that our COHORT is unique in that we have milestones ahead of us unknown. Whereas the elder patients you mention with a poor outlook on life are probably so bummed because they know how beautiful life is. I found much more serenity and support within the YA community vs. the cancer specific support groups etc. Tell your Dr.s to get more literature for their office or hospital so that we can ban together!
    I believe that all events happen for a reason, no coincidences in life. I also believe that everything is in Divine Order, all of the time.

Heartfully, A
  • I do not remember how I found this stupid cancer.com :) But I preach to the world how great it has been and continues to be. Nothing else online compares to it. Nothing else has young adults going through this crap! to answer your questions:

I came here looking for wives with kids that have husbands with brain cancer. while I haven't really found that exactly I met some great people who have listened to me as a caregiver and shared their experiences and it has helped. I'm interested in seeing a co-survivor for young adults site :)

I read/write and I keep coming back because I always need to relate. There are times when I take a break as much as you can from the whole cancer scene. I listen to the radio show, I follow on fb. I share the info all the time and got info in our dr. offices

Support is what has saved me from losing my mind. :)
  • I just need this kind of forum for me to better understand this CANCER thing. I have such a strong family history of many kinds of cancer and I just want to know and understand it better and communicate with cancer patients/survivors/family members.
  • I love having the solidarity and the thoughts, feelings and beauty of others. I (like so many millions of others), feel very alone with cancer, with the illness, with the side effects, with the sickness, with the, with the, with the...I could go on. BUT, I come here, and there are others who are in similar situations, and it gives me hope.

I learn a lot, I laugh, and it's good to feel community, even if it is virtual. I would love it if we could all get together and have a party and talk and laugh about the stupid things people say- but this is good too.
  • I'm here because finding other YACS is so hard. Without connecting to other YAs I would feel so isolated. I've said this before, but I have nothing in common with older cancer patients. They've lived their lives and I find it difficult to feel empathy and connect with them. Here I can feel empathy towards other survivors and have a common vocabulary, experience, concerns and can connect. When I've heard older patients say "You have your whole life in front of you" or "there will be time for that" I want to explode because they've had their time, families, and life for the most part. I'm on borrowed time. It's so nice to be around people who get that feeling.
  • I am here to get as much help and information I can to help my wonderful girlfriend safely out of this.

I know she will join the survivor's league and I have been blessed that I found this place with so many people willing to listen, share and help.
  • I'm here because I want to share my thoughts to my beautiful cancer friends regarding beauty tips. I always support the fight against cancer with beauty to look good for feel better. Cancer patients have suffers many health problems and nail problem is one of the most. I recommend them to use best natural and organic and chemical free beauty products such as natural soothing balm, organic moisturizing lotion, organic baobab oil, organic facial cleanser, and organic sun diffuser. I searched a superb website that proved best natural, organic and chemical free beauty cosmetics for cancer patients that have designed by cancer patients for cancer patients to look beautiful and feel better during radiation and chemotherapy treatment. 

• My husband was recently diagnosed Jan. 1st with synovial sarcoma. Our lives seem like it changed overnight. Today, I was searching for experiences of those that have beat this disease. I feel fortunate to have found this sight. Just reading some of the survival stories encouraged me. Thank you
  • I'm here to share my experiences and help those who need a survivor's perspective. I may no longer be a young adult, but I'd like to think I'm still young at heart. I wish I had a forum like this when I was undergoing treatment but, alas, the internet didn't exist. (I was diagnosed with ALL 44 yrs ago.) I will always fight cancer, mine or anyone else's, so if you need someone on your virtual support team, I can be there. Just ask!
  • I've got stupid colon cancer about to start Chemo, need to tell my kids (Grace 11, Daniel 9) more about my cancer treatment before possible side effects show, I think they feel like the surgery was the end of it. My wife is my rock but needs a rock too. When i saw stupid cancer community it appealed to me. So, thank you for being here. Lets keep on being here. Brian