Your preferred prep method for colonoscopies?

Anyone have any "tried and true" prep methods they would like to share? My annual colonoscopy (& endoscopy) is coming up soon and I'm always curious what other docs prescribe and how others prep.

I always schedule my scopes for a Monday morning. My doc is an old school Golytly guy but supports my decision to fast for a weekend and hit 2 bottles of Magnesium Citrate, 4 Dulcolax (spaced out of course) on Sunday afternoon/evening. Duane Reade lemon/lime Magnesium Citrate isn't half bad when consumed ice cold, with 1/4 teaspoon of honey in between gulps while hovering over your kitchen sink with your husband chanting "chug, chug" behind you.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is what I have done the last couple of times and they haven't said it wasn't clear enough so...Clear liquid diet the day before, 4 dulcolax in the afternoon, a whole bottle of Miralax divided into two doses mixed with Gatorade; then let the magic begin! Ha! Plus, I try to drink as much as possible so that I'm not too dehydrated the next day. I think the worst part is not being able to eat all day when we are surrounded by food, ugh. Sorry you have to do the Golyte, I have given it to some of my patients and I do not envy them! I hope that helps!
  • DMMDMM Community Member
    Here's the instructions I have been given for my last few colonoscopies.

Five days before your colonoscopy: Begin a restricted residue diet – DO NOT eat nuts, seeds, popcorn, corn, etc. Discontinue fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Citrucel, Fiberall, etc.

Two days before your colonoscopy: Take 2 Tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia at 8pm.

One day before your colonoscopy: No solid foods. Drink clear liquids only for breakfast lunch & dinner (see list below).
    In the morning: Put the bottle of Gatorade (G2) in the refrigerator to chill.
    At 3pm, take 2 Ducolax tablets with a clear beverage of your choice.
    At 5pm, pour the 238-gram bottle of MiraLAX powder into the 64 oz bottle of Gatorade (G2). Shake the solution until the MiraLAX is completely dissolved. Drink one 8 oz glass every 10-15 minutes until the solution is ¾ gone. Refrigerate remaining prep for the morning. It is important to continue drinking clear liquids until bedtime.

If you experience nausea, slow down the pace of drinking or take a short break, then resume drinking.

Day of your colonoscopy: 4 hours before you leave for your procedure, drink one 8 oz glass of MiraLAX solution every 10-15 minutes until solution is gone. You may have clear liquids up to 2 hours prior to your procedure. You should not have anything by mouth after that time. Follow the recommendations on the colonoscopy prep instruction sheet regarding your medications.

CLEAR LIQUID DIET LIST: Do NOT eat anything colored red or purple.

Beverages:
    • Soft drinks – orange, ginger ale, cola, Sprite, 7-up, Kool-Aid (not red or purple)
    • Strained fruit juices without pulp – apple, white grape, orange, lemonade
    • Water, tea, coffee (no mils or non-dairy creamer)

Soups:
    • Chicken or beef bouillon/broth\

Desserts:
    • Hard candies
    • Jell-O (lemon, lime or orange; no fruit or toppings)
    • Popsicles (no sherbet or fruit bars)
  • Thanks for the responses! I had my annual - small polyp removed but was thankfully nothing.

My dad, my two time colon cancer survivor and personal roto-rooter expert, swears by the Miralax method. I might give that a go for the next one - looks like you both agree. Oh, and I don't do Golytle. I did that ONCE for my first scope about 10 yrs ago or so. NEVER AGAIN! My doctor just loves it.

Now, I don't know if it's because of the Megace I'm taking for the endo cancer, but my body was incredibly slow to process the Magnesium Citrate and Dulcolax. I started prep at noon on Sunday, I always eat light a day or two before I start prep, but the laxatives didn't really kick in until 2am Monday morning, the day of the scope. By 2pm on Monday it was still going, long after my scope was over. It was all clear during the proceedure, but naturally had us all scratching our heads as to why on earth that would have happened. Very strange!!

Thanks again.
  • DMM;6537 said:
    Here's the instructions I have been given for my last few colonoscopies.

Five days before your colonoscopy: Begin a restricted residue diet – DO NOT eat nuts, seeds, popcorn, corn, etc. Discontinue fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Citrucel, Fiberall, etc.

Two days before your colonoscopy: Take 2 Tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia at 8pm.

One day before your colonoscopy: No solid foods. Drink clear liquids only for breakfast lunch & dinner (see list below).
    In the morning: Put the bottle of Gatorade (G2) in the refrigerator to chill.
    At 3pm, take 2 Ducolax tablets with a clear beverage of your choice.
    At 5pm, pour the 238-gram bottle of MiraLAX powder into the 64 oz bottle of Gatorade (G2). Shake the solution until the MiraLAX is completely dissolved. Drink one 8 oz glass every 10-15 minutes until the solution is ¾ gone. Refrigerate remaining prep for the morning. It is important to continue drinking clear liquids until bedtime.

If you experience nausea, slow down the pace of drinking or take a short break, then resume drinking.

Day of your colonoscopy: 4 hours before you leave for your procedure, drink one 8 oz glass of MiraLAX solution every 10-15 minutes until solution is gone. You may have clear liquids up to 2 hours prior to your procedure. You should not have anything by mouth after that time. Follow the recommendations on the colonoscopy prep instruction sheet regarding your medications.

CLEAR LIQUID DIET LIST: Do NOT eat anything colored red or purple.

Beverages:
    • Soft drinks – orange, ginger ale, cola, Sprite, 7-up, Kool-Aid (not red or purple)
    • Strained fruit juices without pulp – apple, white grape, orange, lemonade
    • Water, tea, coffee (no mils or non-dairy creamer)

Soups:
    • Chicken or beef bouillon/broth\

Desserts:
    • Hard candies
    • Jell-O (lemon, lime or orange; no fruit or toppings)
    • Popsicles (no sherbet or fruit bars)
    Hi, DMM, i want to say thanks for these details. I got a bad cancer and i felt hopeless. But your words give me a hope. And i think that if i use the method just you have given, i will be better. Thank god!