New and trying to catch my breath

Hello all,
My 85-year-old dad is starting chemo this Wednesday and our family is looking for information that will help us find a path through the forest. Breadcrumbs are welcome. We are specifically wondering what level of care he will need. He is currently ambulatory, lives alone and gets on generally pretty well.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, just so you know this forum is mainly for young adults (ages 15-40)- with that said you are more than welcome to pick up as many breadcrumbs as you can find :) As I never had chemo myself I can't really help. The American Cancer Society have a cancer survivors network with discussion boards which you may find helpful. Wishing you, your family, and your dad the best!
  • Thanks

Sorry, I was not aware it was for victims rather than family members.
  • this site has a section for caregivers, too. caregivers are more than welcome here. Mishanne was pointing out that this site focuses on the issues of young adult patients/survivors, who are caught between the two cancer focus groups (pediatric and geriatric) that have historically received more attention (both media attention and financial attention in the form of research dollars).

in particular, a lot of things we talk about on this site are finishing our education, starting careers, starting families (or wanting to do those things) which won't exactly be relevant to an 85 year old patient.

younger patients also tend to get much heavier doses of chemo because our younger bodies can stand up to it. there will be many similarities between how we handle it and how your father would handle his, but things like recovery and complications can be enormously different.

I required an extremely high level of care in my treatment - while going through chemo I was also recovering from a 3week coma and I was initially NOT ambulatory whatsoever. I couldn't even feed myself at first. other folks here have continued working or going to school while receiving treatment. how your father handles his treatment will be intensely personal.
  • Thank you Nate for clarifying :) I didn't mean to say anybody wasn't welcome!

Leave a Comment